Creating Texture on clothing

First Name
Stuart
Hi
I'm planning on doing the 1/9 bust of Blondie Hassler by PR Models (first attempt on figures this scale) and looking at the box art his smock has a textured finish to it. I have had a dabble with Mr.Surfacer and some muslin cloth to add the texture, however just wandering if anyone had any other alternatives to creating textures? As always any help is most appreciated.P1000266.JPG

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Stuart.

I painted the RP Anders Lassen bust a while ago and was also amazed at the texture achieved on the box art. However, I quickly realised that it was in fact done digitally, as I expect is the case with your example - quite naughty of them really:

s-l300 (6).jpg

All of the surfaces on the Landers bust were textured to some extent, and I found a little light dry-brushing picked it up where needed. However, to go further, the best way would be stippling the paint on in two or three different tones to simulate texture. I did that on this Cossack bust:

100_1742.JPG

There was some texture on the coat to start with. I painted it black, then dry-brushed on layers of brown, getting lighter as I went along. The final step was to stipple on dots of colour to further enhance the texture and add highlights.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Stuart
Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply - was hoping you might help out! I'll have a practice at the stippling effect to try and emulate the effect - looking closer I think you are right about it being enhanced which is a shame really.

If and when I get going, I'll blog the build and painting - so please help out!
thanks again

Stu