Cutty Sark Deja vu

B

bobnv

In the words of the immortal Jackie Gleason....... "And Awaaaay we go"
Figured I had better get this up in a post so that I would feel guilty if I backed out. I am still assembling tools, stealing from other tool boxes. Am retired from electronics industry so luckily have some very nice precision tools collected over the years, that will fit in well to a resurrected modeling career, just need to find them all but am sure that I will need to acquire more specific tools and supplies geared towards modeling.Ka-ching

Felt I should put this in the Under Construction forum because looking at it I guess when I first got it I did two things. Painted the copper plates on the hull and lost the instructions, so guess it qualifies as under construction. But thanks to some great suggestions from guys on the site I was able to come up with two sets of instructions that I can actually read. Damn, now I don't have any excuses.
BTW anyone wants some figurines, even in my early days, never added figures even very rarely a pilot in the cockpit when I built a plane. So they are up for grabs if anyone wants them just PM me.

Should be able to keep you guys entertained well into next year
P1030837_1.jpg

B

bobnv

The Good And The Bad

The Good is that I finally got started. Have made some progress mostly in the painting department, mostly buying paint. Acquired a few painting accessories, thought I got tired of waiting for Tamiya masking tape so got out my trusty old 3M blue.
P1030847.JPG
Finally got my hands on some Tamiya masking
P1030854.JPG
Not glued together yet, have a couple of touch ups to do and it is easier for me to paint on the half shell
P1030872.JPG
P1030873.JPG
P1030883.JPG
For the bad news, the aft port railing is missing a post, came out of a sealed bag and nowhere to be found, wife said nobody will notice,
I did. Now I don't have a big stash of small one of these days you will need this parts yet, but I know to save everything no matter how
unimportant it is. Wife doesn't understand that either.......................
P1030845_LI.jpg
Enter the DeWalt and a toothpick, needed to be cut down about 50%
P1030851.JPG
Eight toothpicks later
P1030853.JPG
The other bad news is that because of shortages and my not having any paints to speak of, only way I could get the assortments of color
I needed was to go with Acrylics, was not real excited about that. Not new to Acrylics but not used to using them on plastic, leaves a lot
of brush marks and is very delicate even over primer, that's why I am doing some touch up before the halves and the deck go together, or
maybe it is just me
Anyway, at least I am started.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
GREAT STUFF Bobnv good to see you havin a go you will find that the days will fly by an i'll be following what you are doin :thumb2: you are now one of us lol
chris

B

bobnv

GREAT STUFF Bobnv good to see you havin a go you will find that the days will fly by an i'll be following what you are doin :thumb2: you are now one of us lol
chris
Hey Chris, maybe not as much as I am watching yours.. :thumb2:
So if I'm reading this, if I would have put together 5 pieces of plastic with tape and clamps I would have been part of the gang 2 weeks ago? I knew it, you are a surly group. My kind of people............. :hungry:

B

bobnv

Will be a little lull in the excitement, am leaving tomorrow to head up to an RV park that is owned by friends of ours, I spend the summer helping out in the park with maintenance, parking trailers, do all the brochure hand outs and make most all of the signage for the park, keeps me out of trouble and helps slow down the arthritis from taking over. Park is about an hour and half drive from home so am up there for 10-14 days then back home for 2-3 to restock and fix what the wife broke, she does come up now and then, our 5th wheel is like a second home. Plan is to spend early weeks going through and doing a lot of painting the smaller parts so that when time comes they will be ready to assemble. See how that goes, in the meantime will figure out a way to safely transport the hull back and forth so that I can actually do assembly but once I reach a point that requires the masts I will be slowed down till next fall, around end of October, will be hard to safely transport.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hey Chris, maybe not as much as I am watching yours.. :thumb2:
So if I'm reading this, if I would have put together 5 pieces of plastic with tape and clamps I would have been part of the gang 2 weeks ago? I knew it, you are a surly group. My kind of people............. :hungry:
HI Bobnv im really glad you like the gang an we are your kind of people but im a fairly newbie on here as only been here about a year or so but the guys on here are a great group an will do anything to help one another an that's how it should be an have a great time up in the park an i'll look forward to seein your cutty work what you have done ATB STAY SAFE
Chris