D.A.K. Tiger 1

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have moved from snowy Russia to N. Africa for this effort.

It is a model of a Tiger 1 tank belonging to sPzAbt 501 which fought in N. Africa and Tunisia in 1942/43. These tanks were fitted with special feifel air filters, narrow front track guards and special exhaust heat shields with slots on the top to dissipate the heat quickly in the hot climate.

The diorama is a simple dusty track made as usual from bits found in my garden and drive!!

I hope you like the model and I welcome comments, good or bad!!

Thank you,

Ron

View attachment 19133

View attachment 19134

View attachment 19135

View attachment 19136

View attachment 19137

View attachment 19138

View attachment 19139

DAK Tiger 1 001.jpg

DAK Tiger 1 004.jpg

DAK Tiger 1 002.jpg

DAK Tiger 1 005.jpg

DAK Tiger 1 003.jpg

DAK Tiger 1 006.jpg

DAK Tiger 1 007.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you for the kind words....Incidentally,the kit is an Italeri Tiger 1 early version which is considerably cheaper than other makes, has as much detail and I recon the end result stands side by side with the more expensive Japanese ones.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron,the tiger looks brilliant ,im liking the blue sky background too ,makes the diorama look real.ive just done the same thing with a plane(except the clear rod stuck up its jacksie spoils it a bit!!) well done ,keep em coming! cheers tony

N

noble

Hi Ron very nice build indeed, i would like to know how you managed to get the blue sky effect, or is that a very stupid question.

Scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
No questions are stupid,Scott....unless they come from my wife!!!

The sky effect is easy. The diorama for this model is only about 14" square so with the tank placed on it I waited for the sun to come out. ( I had breakfast, lunch and dinner before this happened!!) Sun comes out, with one hand tilt diorama to the sky, make sure no wheely bins or greenery in sight, it is supposed to be the desert! With other hand take pictures, drop diorama, ****! ......back to the shed. Oh, well..................

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

Cheers for that Ron, i know some hi tech folks use these new fangled things called projectors, nice to see some improvisation. I've not long finished a tiger 1 it's on my gallery page if you want to have a look.

thanks again

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice Tiger Scott, nice to see you muck up your Tigers too, don't you just love whitewashing?!

Regarding my blue sky, I don't see the point in spending money making 'pretend' sky when above us is full of the stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little tip for you, a bit fiddly but well worth it. If you make another tank with the side track guards, cut them along the joint marks then glue them individually along the sides of the tank, as in the real thing.This produces a nice uneven effect. Even miss one out if you wish. Having said that I didn't do it to my last one!

Ron