D-day...Chat

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just to get things moving, chat about the D-Day SSIG can (read should) be put in here :smiling3:

Questions, ideas, photos, suggestions---

Bring it!

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have a 1/72 landing craft and Sherman tank, I was thinking of doing this in a damaged state-however, this could be placed in two categories. D-day and the Sherman build, can it go into both?

Si:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Si, thats a question.

I feel that it would be best if it was just in the one.

remember that the D-day is a Super SIG and runs the whole year, so lots of time to sort that. The Sherman project starts next month...

Have a think and see where you would rather place it.

Ian M

T

tommy1drop

I`ve got some Shermans and variants in the stash, looking forward to it starting.

Tom

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will join in on this Super SIG but not sure what to do just yet ( well I've got a year to sort it out )

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
What are the peramiters for the SSIG ? I have various thoughts on this and none of them involve a beach

First Name
Adrian
As this is a year long build I plan to do a dio with the aircraft loading up for the off on the allies side, and on the other side of the channel an 88mm and crew with a 12t half track set up.

Adrian

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
What are the peramiters for the SSIG ? I have various thoughts on this and none of them involve a beach
Alan, as the Build is 'D. Day', then anything that happened on June 6th will be fine.......Plenty went on during that historic 24hrs without a beach being involved.....Paratroopers, gliders, French resistance, navy...Folks back home, the enemy.......Thinking caps on chaps!

So nothing leading up to, or after that particular day, will be within the rules.....One things for sure, there's plenty of time to think up something, eh?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Alan, as the Build is 'D. Day', then anything that happened on June 6th will be fine.......Plenty went on during that historic 24hrs without a beach being involved.....Paratroopers, gliders, French resistance, navy...Folks back home, the enemy.......Thinking caps on chaps!.

So nothing leading up to, or after that particular day, will be within the rules.....One things for sure, there's plenty of time to think up something, eh?
Cheers Ron I've got two that will fit the bill, pegasus bridge 1/72 scale and a crashed glider in 1/35

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sounds great Alan.....When we 'did' Normandy, my wife and I had a couple of days wandering around the Pegasus Museum, the bridge and the local area, including the first French village to be liberated by the Allies, Ranneville, which is just up the road from the bridge.

I know there's loads of stuff on Google images, but if you want any pictures, giz me a p.m.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ron I do have some reference material on D-Day so I should be ok thanks for the offer :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Not in on this but Typoons were out and about destroying trains and blocking tunnels.

Great one would be French resistance workers blowing up rail tracks and the resultant crash as locos came through. They were also after the railway cranes as they came out to untangle wrecks. What a great scene with a locomotive wrecked and the crane there hit by a Typhoon rockets.

Keep seeing this SSIG what is it all about & what happens at the end. ?

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
SSIF a Super SIG: It's Just an 'overgrown' Group Build really. There are a few Anniversaries this year so thought it would be fun to give the forum a monster build.

12 months to go totally mad and build something over the norm. This can be a single model packed to the teeth with detail or a diorama that you really go to town on.

It might just sound like an expensive idea, but spread out over the year I s'pose it wont be worse than the normal. (that is if you focus on these and build for them and not as well as).

I also recall John has offered a generous discount for models bought for the GB's ( I think it applies to them all, but I'll let John confirm that).The subject choices are pretty open to interpretation.

D-day could for example be the obvious landings. It could also be the preparation up to D-day. After all it was not like very one just turned up on the day and set off. All aspects of the military took part. Land, sea and air. Civil life was also effected, which could be an other aspect of it....

What happens at the end? Well you hopefully end up with a great model. And we all have a great time doing it.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Thanks Ian. A so you do not get them all together as a show ?

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A great idea Laurie but the logistics behind it would be beyond me, So we will have to settle for all the completed builds here on the forum.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oops, sorry Ian, I've been giving out duff gen to Alan......I presumed D. Day to mean just that, just the 24hr period, not the leading up to, or the aftermath....

Sorry for confusing the issue chaps! Makes it easier too, not much thinking required now.....lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not really Duff info Ron. AS long as there is a clear link to D-day I'll be happy.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now I've finished all my messing about I'm free to start this DDay SSIG , now my original idea of Pegasus bridge was a bit optimistic after doing resurch and while me and SWMBO was talking about this she bought me a bunker dio set by italieri , I didn't have the heart to tell her I wanted the horsa glider with paratroops

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ooo can anyone join or is it by invitation only?...and can I join the Sherman build as well or am I to late for that one??? :oops::rolleyes:

Lee :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ooo can anyone join or is it by invitation only?...and can I join the Sherman build as well or am I to late for that one??? :oops::rolleyes:Lee :smiling3:
You can just jump in with feet together and knees bent Lee.

There is a WHOLE MONTH left in the Sherman SIG so get yer finger out and you'll be right.

Ian M