D-DAY Normandy 1944 (1st inf division ) young miniatures 1/10 bust with a twist.

R

RichardMo

Hello all,
since I have been off work for almost a week and still have a few more days before I go back I have been busy . I just finished off the 101st airborne 1/10 bust by young miniatures and now I am starting on this kit. Since I just finished a .30 cal machine gun on my last bust and this has one also, I have decided to do him up a little different. looking back on some pictures I found some interesting ideas and decided to go with this one. it will be a member of the 7th Naval Beach Battalion. there job was to clear the beaches at the D-DAY landing of mines and other obstacles. a lot of high explosives. and the weapon that was used a lot was the Banglore torpedo. Don't think I ever seen anyone do a bust representing this certain group of men (or a Banglore torpedo )so I decided to try . I will be trying to replicate a picture I seen of a group of them. not much more done that research and I cut the hand and sleeve and repositioned them and got a little putty work in. very early stage but I will show you what I have so far. Hope you enjoy.
Rick.

Attachments

• engineer1.jpg
    engineer1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Were they know as the Belly Button boys - Navel - Sorry :smiling::smiling:. Nice bit of conversion work going on.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Nice idea Rick. I've not seen this bunch,or the Bangalores,done either. Do they have their own shoulder patch?
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

A lovely bust and a the Bangalores are a great idea. Watching avidly.

R

RichardMo

Steve
it was 2 am when I made this thread I must have been thinking of oranges lol.
Jon
they do have there own patch but in most my pictures I have never seen one on there uniform just there helmet I will post it later today.
Peter.
as soon as I seen the picture with the banglore's I knew I had to try my hand at them.
thanks gentleman for your comments
Rick

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rick
Great plan. Very neat job altering the hand. Looking forward to this.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Rick

Loverly idea, a straightforward conversion whihc should look really good. Looking forward to seeing the painting.

Peter

R

RichardMo

Jim
yes it was a very easy conversion (thank goodness ). I cut the thumb off and trimmed the hand to look in the right pose. the jacket was a different story it is still a work in progress, i,m new to this sort of thing. need to sand some more and I think it will look ok then.

Peter G
thanks for the kind words. I think I can pull the conversion off ( I hope ) but if not a lessoned learned lol. May trim the bottom of the jacket up a little more ( kinda looks like a bellbottom jean lo l).

Still have to cut the 1st division patch off and some minor other things before starting paint. but here it is with the shirt underneath and primed.

RICK.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very nicely done, but what happened to the second A in Bangalore?
Pete

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
as soon as i saw your bust i thought of....

R

RichardMo

Stillp
I am going to repaint the Bangalore's with the writing after I get a new brush so when I mis wrote it I decided to leave it until I get a new finer brush to write those very small letters.
BigGreg,
that is the main scene I took it from, that and the pictures I found. you can also find a good scene with Bangalore's in the movie the big red one with lee marvin . it shows just how dangerous they were to use.
RICK.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
indeed Rick ....but i think that during the landing everything was dangerous....:disappointed::disappointed: keep up the stunning work
For the writing why don't you make your own decals...? :smiling::smiling:
Have a nice day
Greg

R

RichardMo

BigGreg thanks for the kind words . I tried a few times to make decals and both times very disastrous results. doing so would open up a whole new level to my ideas lol.
Rick.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
and why don't you try with stencils?? a lot of work BUUT SUPERB results...

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
very convincing grin...can't wait to see more...