DAK Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice stone work,looking very good,do like it,and the added eagle,is needed and just finishes it off :smiling:

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Alrite Dan I've only just seen this one. I really enjoyed the DAK 1.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a quick read through...........very nice, looking forward to your next update. Rick H.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Dan hasn't logged in since Dec 2018. Not sure your going to see an update

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Didn't he have a row and then left the forum?

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Seriously he is a recaster? Thats bad. If you're recasting for your own use like a correction or duplicating extra stores for your own dio...ok but recasting and selling somebody elses work is a no no. Doesn't he know its an offence?

Richard.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Seriously he is a recaster? Thats bad. If you're recasting for your own use like a correction or duplicating extra stores for your own dio...ok but recasting and selling somebody elses work is a no no. Doesn't he know its an offence?

Richard.
Hi Richard, yes he knows it's an offence because I told him but denies any harm sadly ebay won't take action as can be seen with all the other recasters on the site. Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
What is his username on evilbay? PM if you like

D

Deleted member 8139

Hey guys im back . Just to make things clear about this rumours.

i m NOT A RECASTER and I don’t have a big market on ebay .

i used copied figures for my dios because they cheap and im not rich enough to buy original resin figures for £10+each

im happy with the Chinese for £2-£3

if my lack of funds makes me an unethical modeller then so be it.

i never stole or copied anybody’s intellectual property for my own gain just simply purchased them.

I had a bunch spare figures and bust I didn’t use and I tried to sell those because I didn’t need them and it was created a problem here.

now to be part of this forum i had to pay so i did.

If anybody feels that I shouldn’t be here then it’s absolutely fine feel free to block me and refund my money.

Cheers and happy modelling.

Dan

Oh and I cancelled this DAK project due to lack of space.

Admin or staff the choice is yours, I accept your decision whatever it may be.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Dan

Firstly I applaud your honesty in admitting that you buy recasted figures, and from your posting I deduce that you do so quite a lot.

However, recasting is theft, it is theft of the intellectual property of the sculptor(s) who took the time and skill to create the original piece. This type of theft damages our hobby in four ways:

1. it takes income from the sculptors who have invested their time and effort into the original sculpting,
  2. if the sculptors cannot make an income from their work they may have to stop sculpting, reducing the number of figures on the market,
  3. it distorts the market. For instance, I appreciate that my busts are not as good as Young's busts, but mine are less than half the price. Why should somebody by one of mine for £20 when they can buy a better quality Young 'knock off' for the same price?
  4. buying recastes is reducing the sales for legitimate shops, making it even harder for model shops to survive.
To suggest that what you do in buying recasted figures is someway ok because you did not do the recasting yourself, you only bought the figures, is naive - recasting only happens because people buy the recasted products.

For me, theft is theft and I see no difference between people stealing the IP by recasting somebody else's figures and somebody stealing a TV. Using your logic, it would be ok to buy a TV stolen from Curries just as long as you do not do the stealing yourself.

Buying recasted figures makes you as much a part of the chain of crime as the person who does the recasting, as I noted above; recasting would not happen if people did not buy their products.

Likewise, your comment that you use them because you cannot afford the originals is also a lame excuse. I read your blog about you S-boat with envy, I would love to convert one for radio control, I haven't because I cannot afford to. Would it be ok to buy a stolen BMW just because one can only afford a Honda? (No offence to Honda owners - I own one). Not being able to afford something is no reason to be party to a crime.

The bottom line is that recasting is a crime and nobody should encourage it by buying recasted figures.

Peter

D

Deleted member 8139

Hi Dan

Firstly I applaud your honesty in admitting that you buy recasted figures, and from your posting I deduce that you do so quite a lot.

However, recasting is theft, it is theft of the intellectual property of the sculptor(s) who took the time and skill to create the original piece. This type of theft damages our hobby in four ways:

1. it takes income from the sculptors who have invested their time and effort into the original sculpting,
  2. if the sculptors cannot make an income from their work they may have to stop sculpting, reducing the number of figures on the market,
  3. it distorts the market. For instance, I appreciate that my busts are not as good as Young's busts, but mine are less than half the price. Why should somebody by one of mine for £20 when they can buy a better quality Young 'knock off' for the same price?
  4. buying recastes is reducing the sales for legitimate shops, making it even harder for model shops to survive.
To suggest that what you do in buying recasted figures is someway ok because you did not do the recasting yourself, you only bought the figures, is naive - recasting only happens because people buy the recasted products.

For me, theft is theft and I see no difference between people stealing the IP by recasting somebody else's figures and somebody stealing a TV. Using your logic, it would be ok to buy a TV stolen from Curries just as long as you do not do the stealing yourself.

Buying recasted figures makes you as much a part of the chain of crime as the person who does the recasting, as I noted above; recasting would not happen if people did not buy their products.

Likewise, your comment that you use them because you cannot afford the originals is also a lame excuse. I read your blog about you S-boat with envy, I would love to convert one for radio control, I haven't because I cannot afford to. Would it be ok to buy a stolen BMW just because one can only afford a Honda? (No offence to Honda owners - I own one). Not being able to afford something is no reason to be party to a crime.

The bottom line is that recasting is a crime and nobody should encourage it by buying recasted figures.

Peter
I accept your point of view but please avoid using words like naive or laim. As i said before its my personal choice on how i spend my money and on what . It’s clearly a big issue here in this forum so i guess its better if we leave it in that. Also probably better if i leave this forum and get a refund for my money I don’t have time arguing with people on my personal decisions and choices. In my eyes we are all individuals and we do as we please. Seems like my purchasing habits makes me a criminal on this forum Ehehe. Anyway all the best for you guys. Im out of here.

ADMIN please pm me for a refund thanks.

or somebody please advise how can i get in touch with somebody in charge thank you

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Likewise, your comment that you use them because you cannot afford the originals is also a lame excuse. I read your blog about you S-boat with envy, I would love to convert one for radio control, I haven't because I cannot afford to.

if you can afford a big Italerai S boat you aint broke....... if you can afford the king and country eagle archway you aint broke (its £99 before postage)

Last edited:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
... If you recast for your own use (recasting wooden boxes for example or equipment) l have no issues... IF you sell them... then I have a problem for all the 4 reasons that Peter Gilson gave... so don't be astonished that people and admin react here....
Imagine now that you are asking for refunds and the board here decides not to give you the money back you would feel bad.... well it's exactly how the sculptors feel....
My reply involves ONLY me and I'm not part of the board or the admin...my 2 cents only..
Have a nice evening Dan

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't want to get off topic here, but I might add that if you have purchased anything from China that was manufactured there, it stands an excellent chance of being stolen from somewhere else...

Status
Not open for further replies.