Damn you airfix/humbrol

W

wbk666

Just treated myself to the Airfix 1/72 Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 (A01003) Model Kit and Accessories by Airfix

as i just love the kitty/toma/whateverhawks ans this one is supposed to be a good kit and cheap.

Any way my problem is the paint, on the box it gives the usual humbrol numbers but only for enamel and i use acrylic.

The numbers it gives for the enamels are fine BUT dont exist in the acrylics :sad:

I've used the paint conversion chart here Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart - Paint4models.com

but that drew a blank for me.

can anyone help?

i'm looking for equivalent of #28 camouflage grey and #119 light earth.

I dont mind ordering online but it must be acrylic.

thanks in advance

Wayne

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Use this to work out the right FS number and use those with the paint conversion chart rather than rely on the kit instructions. Not infallible but it mostly works for me.

Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Paint numbers for Humbrol Acrylics are the same number as the Enamels.

The Acrylics range is not yet as complete as the Enamels range. They are doing what they can to catch up, or so I am told.

What colours are the ones causing problems?

Ian M

W

wbk666

28 & 119 i think i'll have to have a little mix as these arent available in their acrylics as yet

T

tecdes

Wayne the following may help

Light Earth

Federal Standard no. FS 30219

Vallejo Model Air 71.026

Vallejo Model 874 134 (they have daftly two different number descriptions)

Cam Grey

Federal Standard no. FS 36622

Vallejo Model 883 152

No exact Vallejo Model Air equivalent. But there are a couple very close. See their web site

With the Fed Standard you should have no problem in matching with a variety of manufacturers.

If you use Vallejo Model make sure you really thin a lot, a lot as they are thick for brushing but will also air brush.

Vallejo Model Air is ready for Air Brushing but I thin about 40%.

Laurie