Danny`s Phantom

D

Danny

Thanks Ian, Joe, for your kind words......Im realy pleased with the free-hand paint job, but, now Ive seen some of the pics online with the heavy weathering on phantoms Im tempted to have a go...but reluctant to deface my paint job.....the human is a strange creature, gents :smiling3:

Danny

D

Danny

Some of you will remember me saying the Phantom had developed a rattle and today the cause has shown itself.. The pilots control panel shouldnt be wedged between the top of his seat and the inside of the canopy !! Problem, how do I get at it....solution, scalpel the canopy off. This is where the fun started. A good canopy fit with CA then 2 coats of matt paint then a coat of Klear is well stuck, so very difficult to get a knife under. It was obvious the paint and clear had to come off with minimum damage to the paintwork below the canopy fit. My first breakthrough came when I tried some airbrush cleaner on a Q-tip...30 seconds of gentle rubbing removed everything down to the clear canopy edge on the right side. 5 minutes later and all the canopy was clear, as if it had came out the wrapper !

Stage 2... Removing the canopy...I have to say this was far easier than I thought it would be and a gentle rub down with wet & dry left me clean and smooth cockpit sides to stick it back on to..

On a more positive note....The full missing canopy sprue for the Academy F4B arrived in the post from the far east today....Maybe the thought that I had another kit to build if need be helped with my attitude being quite laid back about the canopy removal.

Danny

First Name
Dave
Good recovery on the canopy.If you hadn't had another kit on the way I'm sure it would have split getting it off!.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work on the canpoy Danny, at least you can rest easy knowing what that rattle was. Good tip with the airbrush cleaner.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Your Phantom is looking sharp Danny. I better pull my finger out and get mine into a coat of paint.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Loads of time yet. Mines stopped awaiting more goodies. Funny thing is, I can't remember what I'm waiting for!

Nice catch Danny.

Ian m

D

Danny

Been a really busy week as my wedding season has now officially started... I managed to make a start to the decals yesterday and they seem to go on well. Its a Bl**dy big job time wise though, so Im doing it a wee bit at a time. Apologies for the pic quality as it was a small point and shoot that i used, my own cameras are in situ at a hotel ready for tomorrow..

View attachment 60706

View attachment 62315

P1010021 (Medium).jpg

M

mobear

jeepers looks like the bar has been set high on the standard of paint job,i shall cry later lol awesome mate

mobear

D

Danny

I think I may have had beginners luck using the brush freehand Ole, I will accept you acclaim if i can manage it again lolol..

Danny

D

Danny

No Ole...I was going to use a hairy stick, but decided to use the airbrush instead...I told my brain to imagine it was a hairy stick and just started freehand airbrushing, no bluetac, plasticene, paper masks, anything.

...again as I said above...if I can do it again I will be a happy man :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A Phantom with paint on. Looks nice Danny. I've done the odd build before were there's so many decals, tiny little ones, I might of errrmm missed a few out !

D

Danny

Colin, its going to take longer to decal it than it did to build and paint it !!...200 or more decals small enough to stick to your finger and lose there..

Danny

D

Danny

Progress report...Top surfaces decaled and a first coat of matt layed down with just a hint of grey in the varnish to give the impression of the weatherd colour that Ive noted on Phantom pics in the field. Also, Payload added and under surfaces painted. Next and last steps are weathering and flat coat to the bottom, canopy refitted and a climbing in pilot to add.....Lastly a general touch up of some surfaces and small parts. Oh and 20000 decals on the bottom !

View attachment 61053View attachment 61054View attachment 61055View attachment 61056View attachment 61057View attachment 61058

View attachment 62643

View attachment 62644

View attachment 62645

View attachment 62646

View attachment 62647

View attachment 62648

IMG_3793 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3799 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3800 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3801 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3802 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3806 (Medium).JPG