Dark metallic grey

First Name
Hans
I have to building sets that recommend dark metallic grey. I can not find that color from either Tamiya, Ak or Vallejo. Any recommendation?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hans

It's a bit old fashioned but I sometimes use Humbrol's enamel gun metal H53 for this sort of thing as I have a tin from when I first came back to the hobby.

They do an acrylic version but I've not used it so I can't say how it compares.

ATB.

Andrew

Ps welcome aboard!

First Name
Hans
Thank you for the answers. I will try your suggestions.

Is there a way to get colormaps for the different companies for free? I live in Norway and I have not find any store that sell them

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Morning Hans! There are a range of colours from various manufacturers that loosely cover your requirements; of course their use is dependent on what part of the model they are going to be used on. Some that I use are the Humbrol Metalcote series 27001 to 27004 (although some are described as aluminium they are inter-mixable to the precise shade you want - and are buffable to an appropriate lustre. Humbrol metallics 53 and 56,are useful, Revell 99 is also very dark. Acrylics are a happy hunting ground for you; War Front (Scale 75) Black metal SC-63, Model Air (Vallejo) 71.072 Gunmetal is good for washes. AK Interactive do a range of metallics and are excellent! I have all of these on my shelves and use them as and when required; although generally I create my own shades using a mix of a mid-spectrum metallic, a dark grey and a touch of blue, brown or green, A wide range of 'dark metallic greys' can be created. I mix in bulk initially using mini jam jars - the type you get from cafes, B&Bs, or hotels - then 'tweak' them as appropriate, I hope this is of use - happy hunting