Dart Herald 1/72 Marquette ???? Jersey airport Diorama : I hope.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work Laurie , I think the amount of flash being removed qualifies this as your first vac- form ! The cockpit looks 100% better and the decals are excellent , I used two six decals on my Britannia 737 and they were amongst the best decals ive ever used, so you'll have no problems with that part of the build at least !

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just caught up with this - marvelous job that you're doing, could well imagine what mess I'd make of it!
Certainly watching and hopefully learning how to make a flash model from a 'flashy' kit!!

D

Deleted member 5496

Nice work Laurie , I think the amount of flash being removed qualifies this as your first vac- form ! The cockpit looks 100% better and the decals are excellent , I used two six decals on my Britannia 737 and they were amongst the best decals ive ever used, so you'll have no problems with that part of the build at least !
Tony bought by mistake a vacform it was back in the warehouse in days it was frightening.

Good to know the decals are good they certainly look good & came down in 3 days. Like the special imagination to provide masks for the cockpit glazing. very innovative.

Just caught up with this - marvelous job that you're doing, could well imagine what mess I'd make of it!
Certainly watching and hopefully learning how to make a flash model from a 'flashy' kit!!

Hang on Gerry & you may see a Laurie mess. Love the very flashy descriptive comment.

Gerry are you Flashman from Tom Brown's School days ? :hungry:

Thanks to you both much appreciated.

Laurie

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hang on Gerry & you may see a Laurie mess. Love the very flashy descriptive comment.

Gerry are you Flashman from Tom Brown's School days ? :hungry:

Thanks to you both much appreciated.

Laurie
Doubt that you'll make any sort of mess of this - you'll probably give us mere mortals a masterclass in how to create a silk purse out of a sows ear, quick as a flash!
Sorry Laurie, not Flashman, nor Flash Gordon either ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Laurie, the 'cockpit'...I mean the office console looks great...why is it called that? Is it because it has a joystick? The descriptives in the English language can conjour up double meanings.
The canopy decals saves masking.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Laurie, the 'cockpit'...I mean the office console looks great...why is it called that? Is it because it has a joystick? The descriptives in the English language can conjour up double meanings.
The canopy decals saves masking.

Cheers,
Richard
Probably goes back to the early planes, where the pilots seat was put into something that resembled a cock-fighting pit ;)

D

Deleted member 5496

Probably goes back to the early planes, where the pilots seat was put into something that resembled a cock-fighting pit ;)

Apparently not. But then perhaps not or could be or not at all or even made up supposedly scientific or even -----

The word cockpit seems to have been used as a nautical term in the 17th century, without reference to cock fighting. It referred to an area in the rear of a ship where the cockswain's station was located, the cockswain being the pilot of a smaller "boat" that could be dispatched from the ship to board another ship or to bring people ashore.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I know this is deviating from your Herald post but why the word 'Cockswain'. Might it be derived from the wind vane that had the traditional cockerel at the top that inspired such a word for someone who would steer a vessel direction as the wind blows...I'm just guessing here.

Anyway its interval time as we wait for Laurie's next post on the Herald as it looks a tough nut. I think all the kit gave him was the basic shape except for the instrument panel which looked like something I stepped on. :smiling6: And if what he's done with the added details to the cockpit has shown, I think we can expect goodies coming soon.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

I know this is deviating from your Herald post but why the word 'Cockswain'. Might it be derived from the wind vane that had the traditional cockerel at the top that inspired such a word for someone who would steer a vessel direction as the wind blows...I'm just guessing here.

Anyway its interval time as we wait for Laurie's next post on the Herald as it looks a tough nut. I think all the kit gave him was the basic shape except for the instrument panel which looked like something I stepped on. :smiling6: And if what he's done with the added details to the cockpit has shown, I think we can expect goodies coming soon.

Cheers,
Richard
Deviate at any time Richard on my topics quite happy & will join in. All I can say in the "cock" subject is Maquette's Herald is a "cockup".

Thanks Richard much appreciated. You might just dwell, in the mean time, as to where did cockrel come from.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think you deserve a medal for working on this one! Just think, if the manufacturer could eliminate all that flash he could probably cut his production costs by 50% in raw materials savings alone!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not to add more work....but if you are concerned about color matching the tail, why not paint it also and then trim the letters out of the decal sheet and place them on your perfectly matched paint job? Just a thot. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 5496

A lot of work in that one but looks like it's paying off, nice neat job on the windows :thumb2:
Thanks Mark I will get there. :anguished:

I think you deserve a medal for working on this one! Just think, if the manufacturer could eliminate all that flash he could probably cut his production costs by 50% in raw materials savings alone!
You are right Tim flashiest piece I have ever seen.

Not to add more work....but if you are concerned about color matching the tail, why not paint it also and then trim the letters out of the decal sheet and place them on your perfectly matched paint job? Just a thot. Rick H.
Yes been practising on that. Rick. Printed ou on paper & practised cutting out the BIA bits. The B is the problem. Ordinary paper not so bad but decal paper is a little more difficult to get a clean cut. Think it will be scissors.

Tried a piece of the decal striping I am not going to use & got quite a match. Then found the fin does not quite match tone the striping.

This Dart Herald certainly puts you thro the mill.

Interesting yesterday we met a couple in St Helier. Recognized but not detail then after chat found he was a pilot on most aircraft at Jersey Airport.
Plus his wife & mine chased down that we had lived in the same bunch of flats in the 60's & our kids played together.

Laurie