Dave’s Bf 110C, Eduard 1/72nd

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I bit the bullet and tackled the sharks teeth, they look fine from the side; unfortunately there are some gaps underneath. A big part of the issue was the cannon ports on the underside which interfered with positioning. However it is not too bad and i think a little judicious work with a scalpel i can get rid of the creases. After that i will try to cover the gaps by touching in with paint, the trick here is going to be matching the red and white with paint. It is difficult but i have done it successfully in the past with a roundel that partly disintegrated on application.
IMG_3068.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That’s workable Dave. I think you’ll match the paint. If it‘s not an exact match, but close enough, then you can always go over the entire red area
up to (but not quite) to the edges of the teeth (therefore maintaining the sharp edge). That’ll even out the colour.
Cheers
Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well done for having a go Dave, but lets be honest, we knew it was going to be big trouble.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Bit more disaster recovery required. I had finished the decals and had decided to use the MRP Exhaust Soot to airbrush some exhaust staining, first time I had tried to do it this way. I sprayed a little wider than I intended and went to clean off the excess, a little nervous having read Barry's thread but I figured that the Humbrol Clear Gloss Varnish being acrylic would not be affected by the MRP solvent. Turned out it provided no protection.

IMG_3073.jpg

So got to work this afternoon with the masking tape and did a localised respray of the two greens, which has done the trick. One to chalk up to experience.

IMG_3075.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Dave. Yes, the acrylic gloss did not do the job unfortunately. The exhaust soot though is really effective but it is easy to overshoot.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ouch!

I do exhaust staining using the same paints that I paint the rest of the aircraft in. I typically use greys, browns reds and black to build up something appropriate.

I have never felt the need to buy anything that is not in my paint draw already, I've got better things to spend my money on, and anyway, no one-off product can replicate the subtlety and complexity of the real staining.

Staining can vary from the almost white seen on aircraft like Lancaster bombers, running very lean mixtures of highly leaded fuel for hours on end, to the predominantly black seen on Luftwaffe fighters doing almost the exact opposite. There is just about everything in between.

Love 'im or hate 'im, Brett Green does some really good exhaust staining. I have adopted a system very similar to his since I first saw it many years ago.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have had a little bit of an enforced break, work always goes a little crazy when everyone starts back after the summer. But have got back to the table and finished off.
Finished a little bit of bare metal with a silver pencil, its a bit subtle and I cannot see it in the photos, and used dry brushing and some pigments for some exhaust staining, remembering to go above the wing outboard and below the wing inboard.
Final coat of varnish was the Ammo Lucky Satin Varnish which went on nicely. I deliberately went light on the weathering as from what I have read the sharks teeth were only really painted on for publicity shots and often painted over again quite quickly.

I will put one shot here and some more in the completed thread, noticed I forgot to trim back the aerial wire in this shot, that has now been done.

.IMG_0120.jpg