Dave Ward's 1/35 ICM Ford V3000

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave,
Sorry I must have missed your earlier post...My Bad. Looking forward to seeing the next steps as this project unfolds.
Regards,:thumb2:
Rick H.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The chassis dried overnight. I've added the front springs, engine, radiator. and propshafts, connecting to the rear axles and springs....................
chassis fin 01.jpgchassis fin 02.jpg
The load bed rails have been added, with their very fiddly 'U' bolts. No real problems with fit, plenty of dry fitting..........
Next will be the exhaust, and the front axle
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Dave,
Liking it! Nice to see it is going well for you.
Rick H.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The chassis is now complete, and awaiting priming - it's a bit hot at the moment, so that will have to wait. The assembly has fragile bits hanging off, so less handling the betterpreprime chassis 01.jpg
The exhaust is a bit tricky, 7 parts, with no real positive location - just a touch of filler to blend two of the jointspreprime chassis 02.jpg
The wheels are assembled, and also await priming
wheels aasy.jpg
Load bed will be next..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Managed to prime the chassis and wheels last night, and basecoated this morning, before the temperature got too high.chassis basecoated.jpg
I'm using Lifecolor Dunkelgelb - it dried very quickly -too quickly - the nozzle was beginning to block, and made me do a deep clean on the airbrush. I see that I've bent one of the running board supports - they are very thin.
That may be it for the day, the temperature has hit 26C, and I'm going to sit and watch the Tour de France, with a few cold drinks..........................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work on the chassis Dave, it does look complex to me, with some very thin parts.
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The load bed assembled - a minimum of clean up, and good fit.load bed 01.jpgload bed 02.jpg

Whilst looking for this - a leaning driver............................driver.jpg

I found a one piece canvas tilt........................
tilt.jpg
No idea what it's from ( I suspect Italeri ), but it's a very good fit - another alternative
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Who's lucky ?:smiling4:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I was up early, and primed the load bed OK. I then basecoated - about 3 hours later, but the temperature had gone up enough to cause severe problems with the airbrush. Took me about 1/2 hour to complete, normally a 5 minute job! Then another deep clean of the a/b.
load bed basecoated 01.jpgload bed basecoated 02.jpg
Not sure if it's the Lifecolor paint, but it seems particularly prone to this tip drying
Dave

D

Deleted member 5819

Looks ok to me Dave, you should try brush painting a whole tank in this weather it's great fun "NOT".
Pete.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just a short time at the bench today - the front bodywork, and bonnet assembled.bodywork 01.jpg
Just TET run into the joints - everything fitting nicely
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave,
I love these old Fords, in many ways they were the backbone of the Wehrmacht in supply and troop transport. Here are a few of mine. 1/87 scale mind you. Older and Bolder. Cheers Rick H.P1011041.JPG

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
At the stage of dryfitting the bodywork to see if there are any problems..................dry fit 01.jpgdry fit 02.jpg
Don't think there are any major issue - so I can move onto the cab interior.
Temperature here has hit 30C, thunderstorms forecast. Bench time inversely proportional to temperature!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Had a bad day, yesterday, 10C cooler than Friday - decided to basecoat the bodywork.
I've come to the conclusion that Lifecolor paint doesn't like me, or perhaps my airbrush ( Iwata Neo CN ). No sooner than I started spraying, the tip choked, and again, and again. I deep cleaned the a/b and tried again - same result! I had to go and sit down to get my blood pressure back to normal.
I decanted the Lifecolor paint into a new bottle, leaving any solids in the bottom of the old bottle. Added a few drops of water, then got out my old cheap Chinese back up a/b ( <£12 from Amazon ). No problem..................body basecoated a.jpg
It could be that the paint is rather old, but I mixed it thoroughly, and diluted it to the normal consistency. That I was able to eventually spray it, albeit with a cheap airbrush leaves me a bit puzzled. Anyway, I've cleaned the Iwata, and it sprays OK now - with different paint!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
This might be a particle size issue? What sized nozzles do these brushes have? Could be the cheapo has a 0.4 mm nozzle and the Iwatta has a 0.2 mm nozzle?
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tim,
it's the opposite, the Iwata is 0.35mm, and el cheapo is 0.3mm! The more I think about it, decanting from the old bottle to a new, seemed to be the cure. Old paint 'clumping'?, can't say I've had this problem with makes of paints - Lifecolor was never one of my favourites, anyway
Dave