Dave Ward's 1/35 Revell Stug IV

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This will be my entry into this GB - of late my completion rate for GB's has been poor, but given 6 months to finish this, I'm optimistic..............revell stug.jpg
This was originally Italeri from 1976, but I would say the moulds have been updated/refurbished, as the sprues are pretty crisp.
One area that is NOT so good is the vinyl tracks, so I have a box of individual links........................
tracks.jpg
I'll post the sprue shots etc before I start ( which might be in the New Year )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I finally decided I must make a start on this..........................
Sprue shots, a few detail shots etcDSCF0280.JPGDSCF0281.JPGDSCF0282.JPGDSCF0283.JPGDSCF0284.JPGDSCF0285.JPGDSCF0286.JPGDSCF0287.JPG

The parts look pretty crisp, and there's no flash, to speak of. I didn't take a picture of the vile vinyl tracks, they will be replaced by these

DSCF0290.JPG

I noticed I was missing a drive sprocket, so I dug around, and found an old Tristar Mk.IV running gear set - and got theseDSCF0288.JPG

I also have these, road wheels with separate tyres, If I can easily substitute these for the Revell parts, I will, it'll save some delicate painting.
DSCF0291.JPG

Instructions, normal Revell, with the comprehensive decal sheet (!)
DSCF0292.JPG

I'm going to make it with full schurzen, that saves me from applying zimmerit between the bodies & suspension eyc.
I quite fancy this, as a finish...................
DSCF0293.JPG
I'll have a look at some other finishes, before I finally decide ( long way off )
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good choice Dave, I always liked the lV over the lll. The Disc type camo is a little dodgy to get the right effect but it is fun to try it, although a bit time consuming.
Rick H.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,

Nice start, looking forward to this coming together. Have seen/watched a few disc cammo schemes being done - never attempted it myself !! Should be fun :tongue-out3:

Paul.
:smiling:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
For the disc camo, I was thinking along the lines of a round piece of sponge, mounted on a handle being used to 'stamp' the circles, rather than using a brush, or heavens forbid, masking for an airbrush! A little experimentation needed.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Masking for airbrushing could actually be very easy: punch a hole in a piece of paper, hold it to the model and spray through it; move and repeat. For ease you may want to punch a couple of holes close together and rotate the stencil every time, but this runs the risk of having repeating patterns appear in the camouflage.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Masking for airbrushing could actually be very easy: punch a hole in a piece of paper, hold it to the model and spray through it; move and repeat. For ease you may want to punch a couple of holes close together and rotate the stencil every time, but this runs the risk of having repeating patterns appear in the camouflage.

As I see it, the problem with that method is one would have to wait until the paint dried before attempting the discs next to the painted ones. Even working away from the freshly applied paint. this would lead to a very long, but possibly workable process. Always happy to be proven wrong, as I'm sure there are other, better methods than mine. It's just that I'm happy with my way of trying to produce this type of camo.

If it is of any help, to create my discs, I used cut down paint brushes and 'twirled' them to get the circles. Make sure the brush is well loaded with paint. If you will pardon the pun, you will only get one stab at each 'Disc'.
Start at one end, preferably the front lower sloping of the model to get the feel for the brush and then make the pattern up as you work along the model. I hope that last bit doesn't read as being flippant, but marking things out beforehand makes the job so much harder. Guess how I know!

I suggest it would be extremely difficult, but not impossible to use a stencil, particularly in tight corners, right angles or rounded surfaces and still produce an acceptable disc.

Dave, can I suggest you have a play on some scrap plastic and see what method suits you best? - I did!

I hope the above is of some use to you.

Good luck whichever type of camouflage and method you adopt. I'm sure the result will be ace!

Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No problem, Ron, thanks for your input! - I have been experimenting on some white card. I punched a small 'slug' of sponge, and CA'd it to a piece of sprue, as a handle - the sponge was backing to a sanding block, the finest hole sponge I could find
DSCF0297.JPG

Then it was trial time - I actually thinned the paints, slightly ( both Vallejo Colour ), which is not needed, in fact the thicker the paint, the easier it is to get a good 'print' I just dipped the sponge in the paint, and pressed it at right angles to the surface, after 2 or 3 prints, another dip in the paint
DSCF0298.JPG
You can see that thinning the paint makes it transparent - but the concept works, and when I use the paint neat, it'll be OK.
A little more care, thicker paint, and a better round sponge applicator, and I'll be happy with that!

Now, actually starting the build - the trickiest part of this is the Zimmerit - I used Revell Plasto putty, and the Trumpeter Zimmerit tools.
You have to spread a thinn(ish) layer of putty on the surface, then wait 2 or 3 minutes for the putty to start to go 'off '. The tools were dipped in water, shaken then dipped in talcum powder, to stop the putty sticking. I found that trying to do a large area wasn't on, as the putty dries pretty quickly, and the impressions get shallower.
Here's the hull front after first attempts
DSCF0300.JPG
Once I get the feel of how much putty to apply, and how long to leave it, then I should be able to get better consistency, for areas that might be more visible - early days
I'm going to have a go at the backplate next, that may be a little tricky ( small areas )
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Good luck with disc camo! The thought of all those spots before my eyes.....:fearful:

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I see it, the problem with that method is one would have to wait until the paint dried before attempting the discs next to the painted ones.
You’d have to make sure your paint isn’t too thin so that it dries quickly on the model. If it remains wet then you’d have the problems you mention, but with dry enough paint you can pretty much just spray, move, spray again. You would have to keep the stencil somewhat clean, though, else paint building up on it would eventually get wet enough to leave marks, I think.

D

Deleted member 7181

You need a potato. At least that's how we used to do that kind of printing at school lol.

In all seriousness though, I thought Ron's idea was brilliant when I first saw it, but the sponge looks like it would work pretty well too.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good start Dave.
I forgot to mention don't thin the paint. Sorry!

Great idea, the sponge...'way to go mate...

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You have certainly come up with an interesting idea with the sponge. You could always do back over the uneven shaded discs with a brush to give a uniform colour within the disc. Stick with it Dave as I am sure it will work out fine with a bit of practice. I'm afraid I take the easy road and use masks and an airbrush :smiling5:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm not sure how the disc camo was applied on the real thing, but they must have used something similar ( like a a big mop? ) and I believe it was only put on flat surfaces - like schurzen. The hull of the Revell scheme seems to be the 'normal' green/red-brown irregular patches over the dunkelgelb base coat. I've looked at loads of pictures, and I'm still no wiser!
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
When disc camo was first applied in August 1944 it was done in the factories and took quite some time to cover a whole tank in it. So intially side armour like the Schurzen plates on Panzers and Stugs along with side covers on Panthers were quickly rushed out to the field for tanks to have added to their already different camouflaged vehicles. Thats why you see the rest of the tank with standard camo patterns that were in abundance at that time with the later fitted disc camo side armour. It wasnt until late 1944 that the Germans applied disc camo to the whole body of the tank in the factory. The camouflage was applied in the factories with airbrushes and stencils. Each factory applied different disc style camouflage patterns.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
In addition to what Mr. Jones has already stated, the most accurate representation of the factory disc camo scheme I have seen to date was done in AFV Modeler issue 16, 2004. (for reference only) where the factory 3 color scheme is applied and when dry the stencil with not the discs but the spaces in between cut out in a self repeating pattern and when applied over the top of the 3 color scheme was over sprayed with the base yellow to create the multi colored discs. Pure effing magic. Hope this helps.
Rick H.P1011068.JPGP1011069.JPGP1011070.JPG