Dave Ward's 1/35 Revell Stug IV

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In addition to what Mr. Jones has already stated, the most accurate representation of the factory disc camo scheme I have seen to date was done in AFV Modeler issue 16, 2004. (for reference only) where the factory 3 color scheme is applied and when dry the stencil with not the discs but the spaces in between cut out in a self repeating pattern and when applied over the top of the 3 color scheme was over sprayed with the base yellow to create the multi colored discs.
The only problems I see with this method are that it leaves part-discs where the dark yellow patches are and produces some discs in two colours, both of which are obvious in the lower photo. If the real thing was sprayed through stencils with circular cut-outs, then there wouldn’t be soft edges to any of the discs unless the painter didn’t fill the stencil entirely with paint — and though I’m sure that might have happened occasionally, I doubt it would create a continuous line through multiple discs next to each other.

In short: though I applaud the ingenuity (and the steady hand cutting out those little gaps :smiling3:), I don’t think it works as well as was intended.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The hull is just about ready for priming
DSCF0302.JPG
I've added little patches of zimmerit, which might be visible below the schurzen. Due to the schurzen covering the top parts of the running gear, I'm not going to do complete track runs, only on the bottom, round the sprockets & idler wheels.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit of a break from the bench - life getting in the way again!
I realised that I'd have to virtually complete the hull, so I could apply zimmerit without any gaps, or breaks in style - still missing are the brackets that will hold the schurzen railDSCF0322.JPG
The front sand coloured glacis plate is a spare from a old TriStar model, it's going to be easier to apply the zimmerit to the hatches & glacis plate separately, rather than try to differentiate when they were all fitted
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Coming along very nicely Dave, keep up the good work!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After my tests of the AK 3rd Generation acrylics, back to the Stug.
I've decided to use the Tristar road wheels, with separate tyres, and primed them with dunkelgelb.DSCF0362.JPG
I've added the brackets for schurzen supports. Next will be possibly the trickiest part - the zimmerit - getting it even and reasonably similar..................
Dave