Dave Ward's 1/35 Trumpeter SU-152 Heavy SPH

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After trying my dexterity, with the 1/72 Revell Leopard & cleanliness with the natural metal 1/48 Expeditor, I felt like something a bit bigger, and that could be made a little 'lived in'.
Having seen Matija's KV-2, I decided that the Trumpeter SU-152 had been propping up the stash for long enough
trumpy su-152.jpg
One of Trumpeters earlier models, it may be a bit crude in places - but so was the SU-152.
I'll put up some sprue shots before starting - especially the gun barrel! Oddly there is a decal sheet, but the colour chart doesn't show any decals at all
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave.
I remember building this a few years ago, not a bad kit, you'll make a better job than I did.
Will follow and learn.
John.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That’s a beast of a tank Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A few detail pictures of the parts...................
hull.jpg
Basic Hull - as in all Trumpeter KV models - this needs a bit of surgery for the SU ( simple )
road wheels.jpg
Nicely detailed road wheelssuperstructure.jpg
Massive superstructure - it looks a bit to smooth to me............
mantelet.jpg
The mantelet has a bit of a cast texture.
Now, the gun barrel you can either have an all plastic split barrel
plastic barrel.jpg
OR, you can have an aluminium barrel, and a slide moulded one piece muzzle brake!Al Barrel.jpgmozzle brake.jpg
I can't decide which one to use ( not! ) :rolling:
What may put some modellers off is the individual track linkstracks.jpg
Half with a guide horn, the others not...........
And two pieces of PEPE.jpgsome of which will NOT be used, it'll be invisible when assembled , as experience of previous KV builds showed.
My Expeditor is awaiting it's final touches, but I may make a start on SU running gear whilst I am waiting for things to dry
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Massive superstructure - it looks a bit to smooth to me............
Rolled armour plate doesn’t necessarily have much texture to it, so I wouldn’t worry overly much about it if it were my model.

Now, the gun barrel you can either have an all plastic split barrel
View attachment 326456
OR, you can have an aluminium barrel, and a slide moulded one piece muzzle brake!View attachment 326451View attachment 326454
I can't decide which one to use ( not! ) :rolling:
Kind of makes you wonder why they bothered to include the plastic barrel, really. Or at the very least, why it comes with a muzzle brake moulded on when there’s another one in the kit too.

What may put some modellers off is the individual track links
Having built a Dragon IS-2 (many years ago), KV-style tracks are pretty painless. Sure, you have to watch out with this one that you alternate the links, but they’re nice and big and it’s just one link into the next — not like you’re building a Sherman track with small end connectors or a Universal Carrier where each link is smaller than those of a 1/72 scale KV :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off and running - about an hour - minimum clean up, most parts clicking into position, and TET wicked into the joints.............
su hull.jpg
At this rate it'll be a quick build ( or will be until I get to the tracks! )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Road wheels, idlers, sprockets assembled. The chassis is completed, and the whole lot primed blackhull primed.jpgroadwheels primed.jpgsprocket primed.jpg
I'll apply the basecoat next - I want to complete the running gear, and tracks before moving up to the fenders & upper hull.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Basecoat applied - all wheels dry fitted.......................hull basecoated.jpg
One thing that can catch you out is the ( very ) minor overlap of the last road wheel & sprocket ( above - this side only ), it makes assembly a bit of a jiggling test, as the road wheel fits between the sprocket toothed sides. Only one side, as the torsion bar suspension means that the road wheel axles are staggered.
Onto the most tedious part of assembly - the tracks. Luckily these are great big chunky things that even my fat fingers can deal with!track build.jpg
No need for any jigs, just a straight edge to build them against, remembering to alternate the guide horns. The tracks are a nice snug fit, and can be joined dry, and wrapped around the sprocket, then TET applied to the centre of the track. Leave this to set, and you should be able to remove the track section for painting...............
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Great start on this beast. Looks a rather decent kit despite any accuracy shortcomings.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One side tracks complete (apart from the top run). This is still loose, and I'll prime before final fixing.bottom track run.jpg
Even though these are individual links, they must be added in pairs, otherwise somewhere you will end up with two guide horns, or two flat links next to each other.
The next step is to build the top run of track, with sag! Now, looking at ref. photos - for reference purposes only............su-152 01.jpgsu-152 02.jpg
There seems to be quite a range of sag - that gives me plenty of leeway to fit an even number of links along the top. Once that's sorted, I can duplicate the process on the other side.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Even though these are individual links, they must be added in pairs, otherwise somewhere you will end up with two guide horns, or two flat links next to each other.
This is not an unknown thing on the real tanks, though, so if you happen to be forced to do it like that on your model, it’s not a major issue. If you don’t like the look of it, you can of course hide it fairly well by putting the two adjacent links on the idler or drive sprocket.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave, it looks good, I used the plastic barrel just needed a slight clean up after gluing. Your probably a cleaner builder than me so it wouldn't pose you a problem. The tracks were not bad, even for me !
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Those tracks hang so well .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tracks finished, and fenders attached.........................running gear fin 01.jpgrunning gear fin 02.jpg
Proceeding apace, when the superstructure is added, I'll spray the upper hull - not that many big bits to add.
Dave

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Dave,
Phew, caught up again, love the tracks and they will look so realistic under a coat of paint.
Seat reservation made for next episode.
Cheers, Mike.