Dave Ward's 1/48 Fw 190D-9 & D-10

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst fitting the tracks on my Trumpeter SU-152, I thought about what was next on the bench, and the GB tribute to Kurt Tank. I will be building this:-
eduard fw190d.jpg
As a slight comparison, I will also be building this:- ( romantic box art! )
hb fw 190d.jpg
The D-10 was only a prototype, but essentially the same airframe as the D-9. The HobbyBoss model has a lot less parts, - I picked it up for considerably less than half the price of the Eduard model.
Since the Eduard is a Profipack - it'll be built OOB, and the HB will only have the addition of seat belts. I'm not going to build them together, and at the moment not sure which will be first, but I'll be starting shortly.............
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
<------ pullin up a chair

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'll be watching, having just built the 1/72 Profipack.

Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Pete,
a few years ago, I would have gone for the 1/72 version, but now I'm more comfortable with 1/48.
Looking at the sprues, I'm surprised to find them a bit greasy - almost oily. I've never come across this on an Eduard kit before - I'll be getting the Fairy Liquid, and the scrubbing brush out, before I tackle it.
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've not seen that on an Eduard kit Dave. Then again, I've only built 4!

Pete

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dave great choice I’ll be watching this

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've decided on the HobbyBoss D-10 first - it looks a pretty simple build ( unlike the Eduard D-9) . instr etc.jpg
Nice to see the Swastikas ( albeit in 2 pieces )sprue 01.jpgsprue 02.jpgsprue 03.jpg
You have the option of open or closed cowling gills - and apparently you can correctly see the rear of the engine through the wheel wells - not seen in the Eduard, or Tamiya offerings!
minor bits.jpgpe canopy.jpg
The usual HobbyBoss crystal clear canopy. A pity, that the small PE fret doesn't have seat belts...........................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst I am waiting for my basecoat to dry on the SU-152, I decided to begin the HB D-10
HobbyBoss supply decals for the instrument panels, but I remembered that the Eduard Profipack D-9 has coloured photoetch, so the Eduard decals are surplus. I thought that they should be better than the HB................................ instrument decal.jpg
Eduard on left, HB on right. I'm going to use the HB panel decals, and the Eduard side panel decals ( there aren't any in the HB )
Cockpit bits & Eduard Luftwaffe Seat Belt set
cockpit bit.jpg
Rear Engine bitsrear engine bit.jpg
Both assemblies completed
assembled.jpgBoth parts dry fitted to the fuselage halves.............
dry fit cockpit.jpg
I'm not convinced that you will see the back of the engine clearly through the wheelwells, so it'll only get a basic paint job.
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks a nicely detailed kit.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Cockpit complete & fuselage is joined........fuselage 01.jpg
Cowling is just dry fitted, and fit looks good.
The wings have the wheel wells added & detail frames & gun barrels addedwings.jpg
Flaps & ailerons added - again good fit.
Next, I'll join the wings and fuselage - hoping for no nasty gaps..........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hopefully, a minor pause in benchtime. I had a slight accident yesterday, and today, I've a stiff and aching right hand and arm, and a nasty bruise on my back, which is causing me grief when I move. Stupid overbalance, slip and fall. No alcohol involved! - at first I thought I hadn't done anything, but as the day wore on, I got stiffer & stiffer.
Have to hit the Ibuprofen, and have an early night.............................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Underside given a coat of RLM 76328264
Upper wing & stabilisers given a coat of RLM 82328265
I'll move onto the 0.2mm nozzle airbrush for the rest of the camouflage & mottling
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
RLM 81 Camo on wings ( difficult to see ), and the first pass of the mottle....................328519
It'll take several applications of RLM 76, 81 & 82 before I'm satisfied
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finished the mottle, I think - I'll give it an overspray of gloss varnish, before moving on to panel washes - not long to go now....................328669
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decals applied - well, some of them! I had trouble with the dashed lines for the wing walkways - I couldn't get them to sit straight, and with the pulling & prodding thay fell apart. - so no dashed decals on the wings!329060
The D-10 was only a prototype, so I reasoned that it wouldn't have the full range of standard stencils, anyway.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Time for a panel wash
the ingredients - soft pastels, water & washing up liquid329160

Pastel scraped with a scalpel to give a fine dust
A few drops of washing up liquid , then water. The WUL removes surface tension & allows a good mix. I'm afraid the exact amounts are a bit of trial, and error - better too little water than too much.
The underside of the D-10 is washed with the mixture ( you can follow the panel lines, but I'd don't usually do that ).329162

Allow to dry.......................
This panel wash is a bit delicate - you remove it with a slightly damp paper tissue, or dampened cotton buds329163
This is not as durable as commercial washes, so you have to seal it in with a varnish coat before any weathering. I have done the upper surfaces, but it doesn't show up against dark surfaces
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm sorry to say that the D-10 crashed & burned!
I overdid a weathering coat, and trying to remove it, caused paint to lift & extensive bubbling. To really recover it, I'd have to strip all the paint off, and I'm not spending any more time on this. So, it's landfill, I.m afraid.
I do have the Eduard D-9 on standby, so hopefully I will get something completed for this GB!!!!!!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's a shame Dave, it was looking good.
Pete