Dave Ward's 1/72 Airfix Jet Provost

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
P1060022.JPG

The range of colours - Black, Red, Silver, Grey - small paintbrush and a tube of Airfix glue - hope it's not the vintage stringy stuff!

P1060023.JPG
Sprue shotsP1060025.JPG
P1060024.JPG

Two canopies, one open, one shut...............

And a few detail shots - wings have raised & engraved detailsP1060029.JPGP1060031.JPG

Cockpit TubP1060027.JPG

The squab of the 4-part ejector seats - tiny belts........................
P1060028.JPG

Weighted wheelsP1060030.JPG

My additional modelling tools will be a knife and sanding stick only - however, I will need a weight to prevent tail sitting ( pointed out in the instructions ). I will also make use of common household items - like cocktail sticks, cotton buds, decal solutions, etc.
The biggest challenge will be getting a good overall red finish, with that small brush! There is very little grey used, and it might be worth experimenting, and using the grey as a primer..............
The model itself looks very good - the pilots are emaciated, just as well I can't use them ( no suitable colours ), but crisp mouldings, with no flash
Construction will start shortly
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
The biggest challenge will be getting a good overall red finish, with that small brush!
No doubt you'll cope but it is certainly a challenge - red is not good at the best of times!!
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have washed & rinsed all the sprues & will let them air dry overnight.
WARNING If, like me, you have fat fingers, take extreme care with the tiny paint pots - they are designed to cunningly deposit paint on your hands! - I wanted to give them a stir, to see their consistency etc. After 5 mins opening all 4 pots & stirring, I had more paint on me than an finger painting demo!
Seriously, though, the amount of paint ( especially an overall colour, like mine ) is going to be critical, and you can't afford to lose any!!!!
Dave

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Dave don't envy you painting all that red, I too had trouble opening those little pots used to screwdriver but still got it everywhere and after 5 minutes of stirring just got fed up and put it on it on and there's not a lot in those pots either.
Good luck with the rest of the biuid Dave.
Pete.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh Good Grief! My fears about the red paint & small brush are coming true - this is after 2 coats ( over washed surfaces )P1060034.JPG
I thought I'd better try the tail, just to see what the problems were! It looks like, I'm going to apply multiple coats, until the paint runs out! - and hope that will be sufficient...........
Ejector seats assembled & painted ( cushions are a mix of red/grey/black ) . Decal added to instrument panelP1060032.JPG
Cockpit tub assembled & painted, fuselage halves prepared - I might try a light dry brush with the grey, to relieve the blacknessP1060033.JPG

The major problem, as I see it is painting with such a small brush!! - and a load of large, flat brushes sitting in my jar, sniggering!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just paint the top surface, then a clever bit of photography - job done.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a miserable day away from the bench ( doctors, needles! ). I'm making progress. I sandwiched some ball bearings between the fuselage halves ( it now rattles ). The wings fitted like a glove, the inlets took a bit of trimming, but got a snug fit. The smelly Airfix glue works quite well - if you put a thin layer on either surface, wait a minute or so, then press firmly - it fills any small gaps! It's only a simple model, and it's assembly is just about done.
I discovered that the red paint doesn't adhere very well to the bare plastic. I decided that I would use the underused grey paint as a primer - it gives quite a smooth finish.P1060035.JPGP1060036.JPG

Now, all I have to do, is paint as many coats of red that the tiny pot allows - I may just add a few drops of water, to thin the paint and make it flow better, but not so much that it reduces the covering power...................
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
These kits are aimed at children. Even a modeller of your experience is finding it hard so not good for an 8 year old!
You seem to being making good progress and that idea of using the grey as a primer coat sounds like a plan.
Jim

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have just put four coats on mine and I will still need another two at least just to give you heads up.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hmmmm first coat on...........................P1060039.JPG

If these paints are representative of the Humbrol acrylics, then I'm glad I haven't bought any!
I think I may just do it - I've added just a few drops of water to the paint, to make it flow a little better, but that has increased the drying time!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Second coat applied, it seems to be covering OK, but I do not think it's possible to get a smooth finish using only the small brush in the starter setP1060042.jpg
I'll carry on and finish, but not very happy with this!
I just wish I'd chosen a camouflaged model!!!!
Dave

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Second coat applied, it seems to be covering OK, but I do not think it's possible to get a smooth finish using only the small brush in the starter setView attachment 335214
I'll carry on and finish, but not very happy with this!
I just wish I'd chosen a camouflaged model!!!!
Dave
I have had the same problem with my paint so I will be doing another one but this time I will be doing a Revell kit.
But stick with it.

First Name
Dave
I'm having the same issue with the yellow on my sea king onto the fourth coat and it's still not looking good.

Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Pete,
even though I've stirred this thoroughly, it still seems like the paint hasn't really mixed properly, and you end up with thick & thin areas. Not that I'm happy that other people are having problems, but relieved that it's not just me!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Approaching the finish ( of the red paint, as well ) - I nearly forgot that the canopy framing was red as well...............P1060050.JPG

There are still patches that seem to refuse to tale the paint!!!!!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Now that is it with the red! only a little bit in the pot, not enough for another coat!!!P1060055.JPG

Anti glare panel to be done, then decals......................
Dave