Dave Ward's 1/72 Revell Kfir C-2

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
revell kfir.jpg
This my entry for this GB - 46 parts, so it's not going to be a lengthly build.
For those unfamiliar with the Kfir ( Lion Cub ), it's a derivation of the Nesher - an unlicensed copy of the Mirage V. The Kfir had a wider fuselage to house a larger engine, and canards to improve handling. It was in service from 1975 to the mid 90's. It was exported to Colombia, Ecuador & Sri Lanka.
The Revell model is an updated reboxing of Italeri's 1987 F-21 Lion, as such, it has aged very well..................
Sprue shots.................P1060556.JPGP1060560.JPGP1060562.JPGP1060561.JPG

Only one finish version, and a nice decal sheetP1060559.JPG

One thing that is welcome - on the bottom right FS numbers for the colours!!

P1060558.JPG

A\few detail shotsP1060563.JPGP1060567.JPGP1060568.JPGP1060566.JPGP1060565.JPG

A few sink marks here & there, and a few injector pin marks, but engraved panel lines.
I will look in my spares box to see see if I can replace this...............P1060564.JPG

All ready for the off-----------
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice dave , good idea to replace the seat , especially as the large canopy is crystal clear . The kit one looks like a very comfy executive office chair! I wonder if the fs numbers on the instruction sheet are because its a rebox of an Italeri kit , and thus a reprint of their instructions too , or has Revell finally cottoned on to the fact that not many people use their paints and even less are prepared to mix up daft ratios of several different colours to get the right shade , and started to put fs numbers next to the colours on their paint guides?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Still looks very modern to me. Good luck and no tracks !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
has Revell finally cottoned on to the fact that not many people use their paints
That depends on where you are, I suspect. If it wasn’t for mail order, the only model paints I would be able to get within reasonable travel distance would be Revell, for example.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Made a start - I realised that the ejector seat above was too tall - I couldn't have closed the canopy over it - so another rummage turned up another prepainted one. Tub has the joystick & instrument panel added, painted & decal added P1060582.JPG

Fuselage joined, sandwiching the tub - not very good, the tub has no real positive location, and the fuselage halves are warped. The wings are assembled & dry fitted, looks like there may be a gap at the wing root.P1060585.JPG
Just 8 parts into this build, and already I'm seeing a need for some filler - I've been spoiled by not using any in my last two builds ( both Tamiya!)
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wings & intakes added. Out with the filler..................P1060587.JPG
I'll let all this dry off before sanding back
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hope you've got a big tube of filler Dave.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Underside sprayed pale blue................P1060591.JPG

I'm going to search through my paints to find the nearest match to the pale tan, which I'll spray over the top surfaces. The Red-Brown & Pale Green will be brush painted - masking on a small model is more trouble than careful brushwork.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Painted blue? You could have fooled me — I thought it was a shot of the underside in bare plastic :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's why I primed in white, so I could see where I had sprayed the pale blue! Several times I've managed to miss large areas, because the primer & basecoat are indistinguishable when wet! When the basecoat dries you immediately see the problem.............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Top surfaces basecoated & canards addedP1060592.JPG

I'll let this dry thoroughly, then out with the brushes
I've looked at pictures of the Kfir, both real and models - one thing I noticed that models show the main & nose gear doors open - which photos of the real thing show is incorrect. The instructions show them closed.............
Photo references are essential ! One mistake I have seen loads of times is the gear doors & flaps on the P-51 Mustang.
On the aircraft, whilst the engine is running, the main gear doors are shut, and the flaps are in the raised position. After the engine is stopped, the hydraulic pressure gradually bleeds off, and the main gear doors & flaps slowly drop. You can see this if you look at any videos of a Mustang start up. After the engine fires up, the main gear doors close & flaps retract. So any model should have flaps & doors closed, or open!
The same thing can be seen on the F-86 Sabre ( but with airbrakes as well )
Dave

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I believe that Mustang pilots are instructed to dump the hydraulic pressure when parked, to prevent the undercarriage being raised while on the ground.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First pass on the Camo. Vallejo Model Color Pale Green - looking a little streaky, as still wetP1060593.JPG

Difficult to see where the camo edges are, in places, due to the large decals............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Second pass - AK Red-Brown. Even though it is supposed to be brush/airbrush, it doesn't cover very well, using the hairy stick. P1060594.JPG
All the colours will need touching up - not the most successful painting sessions!
The finish looks a little garish - I'll tone it down with a little neutral grey in the gloss varnish coat ( I mean a little! ). Those decals cover about 50% of the surface - they may have to cover a few slip ups!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ready for decals...................P1060600.JPG
You can see how much of this small model will be covered. - Decal Solution at the ready - joint session with the PR Mossie!
Dave