Dave Ward's B-P Defiant - Airfix 1/48 for Colin's Battle Of Britain GB finished!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm calling this finished:
DSCF0795.JPGDSCF0807.JPG
DSCF0793.JPGDSCF0804.JPGDSCF0796.JPGDSCF0797.JPGDSCF0802.JPGDSCF0803.JPGDSCF0800.JPGDSCF0801.JPGDSCF0798.JPG

The Airfix 1/48 Defiant is a good model, the assembly, especially of the turret is pretty tricky & needs a little easing here & there to fit. The open turret doors are a very tight fit & need no glue!. Some of the detail will never see the light of day again. If you build this with cockpit & turret closed, then the PE is really superfluous.
I can't remember a model where I have dropped so many bits, lost bits ( still haven't located my missing masks ) I seemed to have spent ages creeping round, looking for absconded parts - what is fitted now is the third control column, the first two vapourised...................
Thanks to Colin for overseeing this GB & thanks all for dropping by
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know it was a failure, but I’ve always had a soft spot for this aircraft. This is a great rendition Dave, well done. Makes me want to buy one, even though I’m not building kits at the moment LOL....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nicely built and painted Dave, I've only made one with the old Airfix 1/72 kit and have the later 1/48 like yours in the stash so with how its gone together so nicely I'm going to attempt that soon.

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build, Dave. and nicely presented too.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Excellent Dave - Looks good !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
, Nice job dave , cheers tony

First Name
Carl
I'm calling this finished:
View attachment 394247View attachment 394256
View attachment 394246View attachment 394255View attachment 394248View attachment 394249View attachment 394253View attachment 394254View attachment 394251View attachment 394252View attachment 394250

The Airfix 1/48 Defiant is a good model, the assembly, especially of the turret is pretty tricky & needs a little easing here & there to fit. The open turret doors are a very tight fit & need no glue!. Some of the detail will never see the light of day again. If you build this with cockpit & turret closed, then the PE is really superfluous.
I can't remember a model where I have dropped so many bits, lost bits ( still haven't located my missing masks ) I seemed to have spent ages creeping round, looking for absconded parts - what is fitted now is the third control column, the first two vapourised...................
Thanks to Colin for overseeing this GB & thanks all for dropping by
Dave
Looks excellent Dave and the weathering is a great finish. I always get nervous about weathering as you spend all that time painting so carefully and then Splash all this weathering on which in the wrong hands can go very wrong( I know from bitter experience) but clearly you have pulled it off.
Nice work.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice result Dave, top man for persevering despite all the troubles and bits disappearing:thumb2::thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dave. Very nice finish nice touch on the weathering

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
About weathering:
It's one of those things that doesn't scale too well - to make it visible on a 1/48 model, you have to enlarge the effect. When you look at a blown up picture, it looks as if someone has been at it with a rasp & a bucket of Nitromors!
To take an improbable example. Someone climbs on a wing with hobnail boots & scuffs his feet. He leaves several scratches 200mm long X 5mm wide. Scale that down to 1/48, and you get 4.2mm X 0.1mm, so narrow as to be invisible & unpaintable, that you have to increase the size to make it visible - say 0.5mm - which gives an actual scratch size of 24mm!
The same goes for chipping - you must consider what the actual size of paint removal is. Some models with extensive chipping show areas that would be several metres long X 1/2 metre wide! You have to get a balance between what is visible on the model & what actually happens on a full size beast. Blown up photos will always look OTT ( of course the smaller the scale the worse it gets )!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Dave. Weathering in scale is always tricky, but well worth attempting I reckon. You have a nice well used example here.