Dave Ward's B-P Defiant - Airfix 1/48

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Always liked this bird, despite it being a bit of a failure in it’s designed role....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Before taking up scalpel sprue shots......................
DSCF0731.JPGDSCF0730.JPGDSCF0724.JPGDSCF0727.JPG

After market parts
DSCF0728.JPG

Montex masks - black for the canopy, grey for the squadron codes, roundels, although I'll use the kit decals for the roundels/tail flash.
DSCF0732.JPG
The serial numbers are decals, thankfully. The cockpit masking is for both inside & outside, I'll have to see how that goes...........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off and running! A lot of progress, but only a few parts:
DSCF0734.JPGDSCF0735.JPG
Just the ingates to clean up, & the wings went together very well, very quickly.
DSCF0733.JPG
Pilots throne & front cockpit bulkhead.
There's a fair amount of PE to fit on the cockpit sidewalls, so I'll have to be removing the original detail - then prime & basecoat, before adding the pre-painted PE bits......................
Dave

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Nice looking kit, the extras should make it pop. Are you doing the NF scheme?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice start!

Why is there a question mark after 'Sky' in the painting instructions?

That's just weird. The official name of the colour was Sky. 'Duck egg green' or any variation thereof is just a description of the colour.

The confusion seems to arise because some squadrons interpreted Sky as an already existing colour (Sky Blue) or attempted to make their own, but these were few and far between. Fighter Command must have got wind of this, because among various clarifications it sent a signal shortly after the introduction of the new Sky colour to make it clear that due to a shortage aircraft could retain the earlier Night/White undersides until stocks became available.

Just sayin'.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Why is there a question mark after 'Sky' in the painting instructions?
I noticed that too. The only explanation I can think of is that all the confusion there has been over this paint, also got the people who researched those painting instructions. But at the same time, I’d expect someone who does that kind of research to quickly figure out what was really going on, and then to use the correct names …? (But hey, at least there’s no “Type ’S’” after it, as if that’s part of the colour designation.)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I noticed that too. The only explanation I can think of is that all the confusion there has been over this paint, also got the people who researched those painting instructions. But at the same time, I’d expect someone who does that kind of research to quickly figure out what was really going on, and then to use the correct names …? (But hey, at least there’s no “Type ’S’” after it, as if that’s part of the colour designation.)

Sky was simply a re-named version of 'Camotint' developed by Cotton at Heston. There was a shortage after it was introduced (in June '40) but the idea that everyone was painting the undersides of their aircraft Sky Blue or in their own versions of Sky (how would they know what it looked like anyway?) is ridiculous. Fighter Command was told in no uncertain terms that until stocks of Sky could be provided they were to leave the undersides of their aircraft in the previous scheme (Night/White undersides). Other Commands and organisations, like the Observer Corps, to which the appearance of friendly aircraft was important, were similarly informed.

I think it was the late Edgar Brooks who established that there was typically not even one spray gun per squadron at Fighter Command airfields, so aircraft already in service did not change over night!

Reactions: JR

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That will be spot on Dave!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
On with he PE - or not!
Eduard would have you replace the throttle assembly with a fiendish folded part (r)
DSCF0737.JPG
OK, I haven't cleaned up the PE, but I'd already decided not to use it - not a great advance over the moulded bit.

Anyway, side wall frames added to cockpit area, and the whole cockpit area sprayed with interior grey-green. I will add some of the PE bits,but only those that seem to enhance detail ( I'll probably end up using the instrument panels & seatbelts! ).
DSCF0738.JPG
Hataka grey-green used - it looks a little light, but with a wash & varnish, it'll darken up.
Dave

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Before taking up scalpel sprue shots......................

The serial numbers are decals, thankfully. The cockpit masking is for both inside & outside, I'll have to see how that goes...........
Dave

Hi Dave ,

I have read somewhere here on the forum, just use the exterior mask and paint it first with the interior colour then the external colour, saves all the faffing about trying to stick masks on the inside.

HTH's?

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steve,
yes, that's the way forward - the framing is moulded on the outside of the transparencies - so the masks should be easy to place. On the inside - no real positive locations, and a mismatch between inner & outer masks would be obvious, so the external masks are the only ones I will use.......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit of work today - the PE,not my favourite topic

DSCF0742.JPG
The instrument panel 5 bits -looks OK

DSCF0740.JPG
Wheel wells painted & washed - seatbelts added - AND I noticed that I've managed to knock off the control column! Not much point in looking for it, I'll have to make a new one.

DSCF0741.JPG
Various bits of PE added to the cockpit sidewalls & a gentle wash given. There should be more PE bits, but I gave up on the tiny bits.............

Ready to close up the fuselage now - I can just about complete the airframe, including paint & decals, before I turn to what may be the main feature, the turret

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Sailing along Dave, all looking very nice.