Dave Ward's B-P Defiant - Airfix 1/48

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fuselage closed up & left overnight to really harden off. Tail completed, then the wing added
P1060839.JPG
Fitted very well, just needed a bit of encouragement to close the gaps at the upper wing joint. I'll leave this to really set, then there a few areas which may need a smear of filler, but nothing drastic.
Fit is good, just edge preparation needed. I discovered that the closed undercarriage doors fit the wells perfectly - so good in fact that I'll have to destroy them to get them out, so I'm leaving them alone until after the underside Sky basecoat is applied. No masking needed.........
Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fitted very well, just needed a bit of encouragement to close the gaps at the upper wing joint.

That looks like some serious 'encouragement' :smiling3:

Looking good.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Primed overall - I'll give it a few hours, then spray the undersurfaces with Sky
DSCF0753.JPGDSCF0754.JPG
The closed undercarriage doors are such a tight fit, that no further masking was needed, but I'll have to cut into them to get them out!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sky undersides sprayed & the undercarriage doors prised out
DSCF0756.JPG
I used Hataka paint - 'Sky Type S' - yes, that's what it is called!
I'll leave this to harden off overnight, before masking, and spraying the upper surfaces
Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one Dave, you going full steam ahead on this one!

I'm looking forward to the turret, it was the whole point of the aeroplane after all.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Only a short time at the bench today - I had to go out, first time on public transport wearing a mask! Can't say I enjoyed it, rather claustrophobic & sweaty, I'm going to avoid that as much as possible.................
Underside masked up & upper surface sprayed overall
DSCF0758.JPG
Vallejo Model Air Dark earth. This will harden off overnight - tomorrow I'll cut masks for the hard edged camouflage, before spraying the dark green. Wings & tail are easy, the fuselage takes a bit more effort......................
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great progress Dave,
The cockpit stuff sure is tiny..... brings a dead space to life mind!:thumb2:
Cheers,
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Masking time - I drew round the wings/tail on plain paper, then using references drew out the brown areas to be masked. I used wing joints, ailerons, landing lights as location datums as much as possble.
This was cut out & tried on the model, then used as a template to cut out a mask on Tamiya sheet
DSCF0764.JPGDSCF0765.JPG

I could have done this directly on the mask sheet, but that is wasteful - I cut the masks out, laid out to make maximum use of the sheet - I used about 1/2 sheet of the sheet!
The wings are easy - the fuselage is a bit trickier - I used paper, wrapped around it & the camo edge drawn on it. Again the template is cut out & offered up to the model - you can make minor adjustments, or start again before committing to cutting the mask.
It's time consuming, but not brain straining - I had Peter Gabriel on Spotify to keep me entertained.
Anyway, this is the result
DSCF0767.JPG
All ready for the dark green to be sprayed - probably tomorrow.......................
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Interesting technique Dave, I'll have to pinch that!
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The alternative method would be to brush paint the hard edge camo over the sprayed basecoat - it would probably be quicker, but it's more difficult to get a smooth finish! Of course a bought mask set would be much easier ( I don't know if one is available for the Defiant ), but where's the fun in that?
Dave

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I do similar but find frisk film a cheaper alternative.
I'll be using it on my MiG-21.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Up early & sprayed the Vallejo Model Air Dark Green. I let it dry for an hour or so, then carefully removed the masking...............................

DSCF0768.JPGDSCF0769.JPG

That was a pretty successful effort! - I'll let this really dry, and then spray an overall gloss varnish to flatten all out, ready for the decals. I also have the Montex masks for the squadron codes, which I've never used before, so could be interesting!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Can't say I'm impressed with the Montex masks. I found them hard to separate from their backing & really difficult to position on the model.
DSCF0773.JPG
They worked, sort of, but I'm sure that decals would have been quicker, easier & neater................
Dave

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I think using masks is similar to using decals in that you get better at doing it each time. It's another useful string to your fiddle though as you can cut your own masks for thos hard to find things........

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I just so happened that I didn't have any decals for the Squadron codes in the right colour, so I had to use the masks, another new technique tried.......
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The major decals added
DSCF0775.JPG
Just the stencil data to add. I had to use the kit serial numbers, as the Montex decals took exception to my decal solution ( MiG ) & shrivelled up & fell apart!. Luckily that was before applying the 'Cock o' the North' decal, as that would be difficult to replace.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One of those days - everything I touch falls on the floor, or goes missing!, the hand eye coordination is lacking.
I managed to fit the undercarriage & doors ( one of which I spent 10 minutes looking for - it had flown an unfeasible distance from the bench ), and the propeller/spinner assembly.
DSCF0776.JPGDSCF0777.JPGDSCF0778.JPG
Next up will be a light panel wash, before sealing all with dull varnish. I'm leaving the glazing & turret until last - It looks a little tricky & I'll essentially clear the bench for it's assembly, masking & painting.
I'm going to finish the Defiant before resuming the Gaz M1, as that has reached a stage where I need to concentrate solely on it.
Lunchtime - I hope I can manage that without dropping anything, or doing myself a mischief - I think I'll leave the bench alone for today, I'd be rather miffed if I made a mess of this, when close to a finish.........................
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice Dave. This is probably my favourite camouflage scheme, it must be a boy hood thing.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a couple of light panel washes - overall matt varnish spray - AK Ultra Varnish
DSCF0779.JPGDSCF0780.JPG
It's amazing that you can totally miss patches - spraying clear varnish over a gloss finish - you can't see where you've covered! Hairy stick used to cover those glossy patches..........
Dave