Dave Ward's Eduard 1/48 SSW D.III - Brad9826's WWI Memorial GB

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Engine ready to fit, and the first coat of Vallejo Scarlet applied to the front fuselage
Engine & Scarlet.jpg
For those who are not familiar with this................
Humbrol DecalFix.jpg
Unlike other decal solutions, this is a single part, as I have said, it is a bit fierce, and you need to be careful!
The outer struts have decals applied to the inner & outer faces - with these, I just placed the decal on the surface no rubbing with cotton buds etc, and applied a thin(ish) coat of DecafFixStruts decal.jpg

The solution hasn't quite dried yet, but it has sucked the decal down around the struts. I'll leave it overnight to really dry.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Boring!!!! This is the result of adding 50+ rib tape decals............................
boredom.jpg

I'll apply a satin varnish, to seal everything in. It's a real slog, adding these decals - luckily there are a few spare...............
Dave

B

Brad9826

Going great gun's Dave. Decals are well popping, .. In what way is decalfix fierce Dave, as I have a bottle, but not used it yet? Cheers bud.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Brad,
DecalFix will find any flaws in decals - I've had older decals disintegrate, and if you get a fold in a decal, you're in trouble. It's not like other decal solutions, you have to get the positioning pretty close first time, as moving the decal is not easy. Having said that it does suck the decal down onto the surface very well.yak fin 04.jpg
p - finished 04.jpg
Humbrol direct you to soak the decal in neat DecalFix. - I dilute the solution 70% water 30% DecalFix, and only use neat Decalfix to brush the location, and after placing. Avoid touching the decal with fingers, as it seems to stick to fingers pretty well!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wings satin coated - when fully dried, I'll clear the holes for the struts and the rigging - seat and simple belts added.wings satin coated.jpg

I've joined the fuselage, and primed...............fudelage primed.jpg

I think it's going to come together pretty quickly, now.
Whilst I was applying the rib tapes, I was thinking about my next build - and I think I'm going to have a crack at this-zvezda msta.jpg
It's being calling me for a while now! Not plain green, but a camo finish.
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I had the same problems with Decalfix - decals stuck to the first surface they touched, usually fingers. The ones I managed to get onto the model refused to move to the right place.

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hiya
I use Microsol and microset (which is the one Decalfix sounds like). I may have it wrong, and I may have misunderstood what you have said, but I though you were supposed to brush it on the surface after the decal has been positioned, not use it as the decal is being placed? It softens the decal to an extreme allowing it to conform to the surface, so would make them really difficult to handle?
Tim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Humbrol have a video showing decals being soaked in Decalfix to remove them from the backing paper.

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funny that, microset states not to touch the decal after application until the decal has dried out again....whichever works I suppose...
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bottom wing and fuselage offered up for the first time
fuselage wings.jpg

It makes you wonder why, after going to the trouble of printing the complex lozenge camouflage canvas, the planes were then painted in such bright colours? A complete contrast to the drab RFC/RAF PC10!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The engine and cowling added - a little jiggling needed to get things to fit, and the machine guns added.
engine cowling mg added.jpg
Now begins the tricky bit - top wing, and the centre section rigging, this is not something you can rush, you have to have steady hands, so no double espresso for me today!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Dave,
I've built a couple of these Eduard kits and really like them. Although to be honest, with all these decals, I might avoid this one. But hat's off to you for tackling it. It's certainly turning into quite a colourful beast.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wing rigging added - !!!! PHEW !!!! - I used 0.1mm elastic line ( like EZ-Line ). I found out that it didn't like my Loctite CA - it didn't 'grab', so I had to revert to my backup el-cheapo unbranded...................
P1050308.JPGP1050311.JPG
At the moment they are natural white colur, but I'll use Vallejo Game Ink to give a dark grey finish. All the rigging holes in the wings will be made good - the lozenge decals will cover up a lot! A lot of squinting, holding my breath and blasphemy has got me over this hurdle! :smiling6:
Dave