Dave Ward's Hasegawa Hughes 300 Eggplane ( copter )

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As February begins, SNOW - schools closed, buses not running, massage parlours closed, - martial law! AND it's still snowing ( OK, only about 50mm so far!)
For this supreme challenge, I've chosen the Hughes 300 Eggcopter from Hasegawa, the real thing has an egg shaped cabin, so nothing really distorted at all!328244
I don't know about you, but those Japanese anime figures always make me uneasy, western, young girls............
There are 3 sprues and a small decal sheet. 2 of the sprues are for the 'solid' bits - clean mouldings, no flash.328245
I can see that the clear bits are going to need careful painting/masking.328246

I can see a choice on the cabin - do I paint before, or after assembly. - complete the interior, close up the cabin, then paint, or paint the clear bits before assembly. One way, I'll be able to get a good joint before painting - but It'll be difficult to handle. - I'll have to have a ponder on that.
Construction will start shortly
Dave

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Dave and welcome to the GB, never seen anyone do a eggchopper before so this will be ainteresting one to follow. I think it there big eyes on though figures they just follow you everywhere. Good luck with the build.
Pete :thumb2:.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Neat little kit. Only a few parts but I can see your dilemma regarding painting the cabin.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
About 1/2 hour at the bench, and most of the bits are ready for priming. I had considered adding details - seatbelts, collective pitch levers, but decided to go OOB328337328338
I've decided to paint the canopy in two halves, for ease of handling - some of the masking may be a bit tricky....................
Dave

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Dave you're not hanging around, nice clean work, go on be a devil add the seat belts you know you want to, couple of straps couple of buckles job done, will add a bit more character.
Pete.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Don't you just love acrylics - primed & basecoated in a few hours328411
The Fuel tanks are red - at first, I tried Hataka International Orange, then Vallejo Scarlet, but neither seemed to be 'punchy' enough. I delved around in my paint box, and found a bottle of Vallejo Game Air 'Bloody Red' .............................328412
That looks a lot better ( tanks are the same size - trick of perspective! )
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice choice Dave and swift progress in building it up and having some paint on.

Good luck with the canopy.:thumb2:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice start Dave. Whirlybirds was a school holiday prog if I remember rightly.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Internals finished......................328673

I masked the 'egg' - it was easier to do it in halves. Still took me quite a while!328671

Brush painted neutral grey first ( interior colour ), then sprayed bloody red..................

Red ovoids....... I'll wait overnight for things to really dry, before offering up prayers, and carefully peeling off the masks
Dave

D

Deleted member 5819

HI Dave, Satan here what NO seat belts not to late :smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:.

Comming together very nicly sir .
Pete.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Masking removed - not bad, a little touch up here & there needed

And, of course, I couldn't resist a dry fit...................328755328756
When I add the interior, and join the two halves, the centre seam is going to need quite a bit of attention - in the clear areas, there is a white decal strip that fits over it, but will still need a bit of thought 7 work to get smooth
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Egg halves joined - a bit tricky, getting the seats etc. to stay in the correct place. I considered taping them, whilst they dried - but eventually put it in a plastic shot glass........... 328940
There will need to be a clean up on the join, but the white decal strip should hide the worst!
Close up shots always show the flaws...
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One of those days - If I didn't drop it. I dropped something on it - and if neither, then I couldn't find it!
Whilst waiting for a varnish coat to dry on my IT-1 tank - I decided to finally finish this!
Just adding decals and final assembly.................330209330210
Missing in action is the tail rotor. After spending 10 minutes looking for it, I made a new one in 5. Next pictures will appear in the completed section
Dave