Dave Ward's HobbyBoss 1/48 P-38L 'Easy Assembly'

D

Deleted member 7181

I know my model experience is lacking but from a purely paint point of view I think you'd have been better removing the liquid mask much earlier.

Id suggest as soon as the paint feels touch dry. That way the acrylics haven't started to cross-link / polymerise or whatever you want to call it, and the masking is much more likely to leave a clean edge. Once it's started to cure the acrylic becomes a homogeneous layer that doesn't want to separate from itself.

At work I do it almost immediately, while the paint is still quite wet, but that's a bit risky on a 3d shape and a wrongly placed finger could spell disaster.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fernando,
I've never been a fan of the blue tack method - I find it very fiddly, and invariably I have to touch up a lot after removing the strips. I'm much happier using the old fashioned brush.
Looking at the Lightning, I'm going to have to feather the demarcation line & remove any loose bits. A sanding stick, or failing that, a fibre glass pen should smooth things out.
Andy,
yes, that probably is the cause - but these acrylics dry so quickly, it would be tricky to judge the right time to peel the mask off!
Dave

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave , for acrylics I would say to peel the masking off immediately. As for the blu-tac method I found an easy way to create the wavy lines just by doing this...

494026.jpg 494028.jpg 494030.jpg

Basically roll a worm like thread, affix and using the end of a brush to tease the blu-tac into the shape you desire. Peel off right after you have sprayed. Thin down the edges of the blu-tac if you want the lines sharper.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Andy,
yes, that probably is the cause - but these acrylics dry so quickly, it would be tricky to judge the right time to peel the mask off!
Dave
Sooner rather than later I'd say.

As Richard says, immediately is probably best, but at the latest as soon as you can touch the paint (on the masking of course) and it doesn't transfer to your finger.

Like you say though, a few touch ups will see it right as rain.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rapidly approaching a finish - still lacking main undercarriage doors & rocketsP1060495.JPGP1060496.JPGP1060498.JPG

I've had more trouble assembling the rockets onto their 'chandelier' launch bracket than the rest of the model - I'm now in the third attempt - small location pins...........................
Despite all that weight I added, the P-38 is a marginal tail sitter! It will stand on all 3 legs, but if you push the tail down, it'll stay there. Weight in the front of the drop tanks would work, maybe adding the rockets will help.
After all the bits are added, then it's time to do some weathering..............
Dave