Dave Ward's HobbyBoss 1/48 P-38L 'Easy Assembly'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Shots of what's in the box................P1060420.JPG

I do have an aftermarket transfer sheet, but I can't put my hand on it for the moment! Plan B is the kit decals................P1060416.JPGP1060417.JPGP1060418.JPG
X 2 of these.

P1060419.JPG
Canopies to HB usual standard - crystal clear & wrapped in foam.

Now, the main airframe - this is in 1/48 scale,P1060423.JPGP1060424.JPG
2 pieces, top & bottom!

A few detail shotsP1060421.JPGP1060422.JPGP1060425.JPGP1060426.JPG

It's not quick assembly in the HB 1/72 style, but a vastly reduced part count, that does need glue to keep it together.
Two decal versions, one Olive Drab over natural metal, the other nm overall.
I'm sure that the model is simplified, but looks detailed enough for my taste!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
This is beautiful...makes me wanna get one. Half the sanding and alignment work has been done with the two halves and engine cowlings. :tongue-out:

Dave, let us know how it fits.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
A quick dry fit looks very good. Some Revell Contacta, a few clamps, and I think there will be a little scraping along the seams, and that will be it ( The cockpit looks OK as well! ).
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Glad your mojo is returning. That kit looks great. Detail is nice even if a bit simplified and from what you have found a good fit. The main airframe like that is a new one on me.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
don't really feel like starting this, though! :sad-face:
The HobbyBoss 1/48 Su-27 Flanker model is split like this - but MUCH bigger!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
No rush. Start when the urge gets you - no good trying to force yourself.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The HobbyBoss 1/48 Su-27 Flanker model is split like this - but MUCH bigger!

I have the kit in my 'to do' stash list. It looks a cracking kit. I also nearly bought the same P-38 kit as you too. But the Academy one came up for a price i couldn't refuse.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been away from my bench for a while - laid low with sinusitis. Now that my head has cleared, and the ten day headache has gone, I'm going to return to building. - I just don't feel like picking up an existing build, so I'm going to make a start on this. I still can't find my aftermarket decal sheet, so I think I'll go for the Olive Drab over silver, rather than overall silver.
Construction will start shortly.......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The fifteen cockpit parts, ready for clean up.......................P1060470.JPG

And after assembly ( the sides & yoke are only dry fitted )P1060471.JPG

There is a decal for the instrument panel - a bit of detail painting & washes should work well. Missing is the clear gunsight that mounts on the long bracket above the yoke. That will be added later.
No seatbelts - a pity, as the seat will be visible through the crystal clear canopy - I'll have to make some up. I was going to fit a pilot, but the only one I could find was clearly grasping a joystick, and hands nowhere near the yoke!
There is no mention of weight addition, to prevent tail sitting, but there's plenty of room in the nose, I'll see how that pans out............
Dave
Just had a brainwave: the Eduard PE set for my Mossie has seatbelts - but the kit has two rather splendid RAF types as crew, so I won't be needing those belts - OK, they're the wrong spec, but better than anything I can cobble together!

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Seatbelts added ( from the Eduard Mossie detail set - which will be completed with crew )P1060474.JPG

Then, the big join! I used Humbrol Liquid Poly, applied with a medium brush, just wicking it into the joint before light clamping - it took quite a while, but the final joint is not badP1060475.JPGP1060476.JPGP1060478.JPGP1060479.JPG

There are no glaring gaps, just slight mis-matches, that will disappear when scraped.
The cockpit needs a wash or two, but not badP1060480.JPG

Just the rudders, and the two engine nacelles to add, and that's it for the main airframe.
I'll put a new blade in my scalpel, and attack those joints tomorrow
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Primed overall black - my favourite Stynylrez.P1060484.JPG

The underside sprayed AK Metal silverP1060485.JPG

This looks a bit bright at the moment - but it'll tone down with varnish oversprays.
The upper surfaces are Olive Drab - with a wavy hard demarcation line with the silver. I'm going to use masking fluid to protect the silver, before spraying the OD - I could brush paint it, I want to try the masking fluid over a large surface.
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks like a real easy build Dave, look forward to the OD and waves. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The assembly is very easy, just a little careful edge preparation needed - if I wasn't painting, it could be together in an hour!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK, that didn't go as well as I hoped.............................
I applied the masking fluid, with a brush, to the undersides, making a smooth line between olive drab & slilver. After letting the fluid dry for a couple of hours, I sprayed the uppersurfaces with Hataka A018 US Olive Drab - which went on nicely.P1060486.JPG

I let this dry for a few hours, then started to peel off the mask. Sadly, instead of leaving a smooth line, the masking took off small bits of the olive drab.................P1060488.JPGP1060490.JPGP1060491.JPG

I got the demarcation line in just about the right place, as you cant see ( much ) OD from below.
P1060487.JPG

I think that the dried OD paint is a little flexible ( like a skin ), and the removal of the mask is just enough to take small bits off.
I'll have to resort to the hairy stick to clean up the edges.
It was an experiment, to see if the fluid would be an easier way to do the split, and it didn't really work. I should have gone with my first thought - brush painting the demarcation line, then filling in with the airbrush!
Using the masking fluid on small areas, like cockpit canopies, works, but with the acrylic paint, it's problematical!
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat looking office Dave, too bad the masking experiment didn’t work out.
You can also use the Blue/white tack method for the demarcation lines, although that takes up some time.