Dave Ward's Matchbox 1/72 SkyKnight

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sprue shots etc - don't know when I'll start, but get the preliminaries over with.....................
matchbox skyknight.jpg
DSCF0601.JPGDSCF0603.JPG
I find that I have resin seats for this, can't remember where they came from. The training version looks a little more interesting than the all-black night fighter.
Dave

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Two nice colourful choices there Dave.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice colourful choices Dave, looking forward to the Skyknight :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I was looking for pictures of the cockpit of the SkyKnight - the model has little detail - after a search around ( not many pictures out there ) I found a drawing, allegedly from the pilots handbook........................ panel.jpg
I don't know if it was a joke by the technical illustrators, but did it really have a cigarette lighter? ( above the control stick ).
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I sincerely hope so dave ! It wouldnt surprise me in the slightest though , this was the fifties after all , the decade when most british test pilots used to take up aircraft dressed in a full suit ! And didnt they used to tell people in those days smoking was good for you ?!!!!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was looking for pictures of the cockpit of the SkyKnight - the model has little detail - after a search around ( not many pictures out there ) I found a drawing, allegedly from the pilots handbook........................ View attachment 385590
I don't know if it was a joke by the technical illustrators, but did it really have a cigarette lighter? ( above the control stick ).
Dave

Must be a joke Dave. If it had been fitted with a cigarette lighter, there would also certainly be one or more cupholders and I can't see any!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think it’s for real....after all, it would keep naked flames out of the cockpit...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What we can’t see are the Spirit optics situated on the rear cockpit bulkhead....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tim.
funny you should say that.....................
seats.jpg

no optics, but what is " personnel gear receptacle" ? - Is that officialese for pee bottle?
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Was this aircraft a low level flier with no need for oxygen?

I hope so!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It was the first purpose built jet nightfighter - It saw service in Korea - even shooting down MiG-15s - after that it became an electric warfare aircraft, serving in Vietnam. Incidentally, it was designed by Ed Heinemann, the same bloke who designed the A-4 Skyhawk!!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And the A-1 Skyraider. And the A-26 Invader. And the A-20 Havoc. And the SBD Dauntless. And … :smiling3:

Edit:
what is " personnel gear receptacle" ? - Is that officialese for pee bottle?
Page 12 of the manual, §1-59:
PERSONNEL GEAR RECEPTACLES. Receptacles for plugging in personnel gear adapters (…) The receptacles have provisions for connecting simultaneously, the oxygen mask, anti-g suit, headphones, and microphone cord.
In other words, these are stowage bins for some of that kit, allowing it to be plugged in yet stored out of the way when not needed — or so I assume.

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
.....................Skyray, Stiletto etc etc - I have his autobiography " Combat Aircraft Designer " - quite a good read
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A long time since I posted anything on a blog - I've been off colour, with what seems to be some form of sleeping sickness!!, and haven't had the energy, or enthusiasm to do much at all.
The Skyknight is a very simple model - about 30 parts so far! The fit isn't too bad, details, let's just say about average for Matchbox..............
The real challenge is the colour scheme - white and international orange. The whole thing has turned out to be a masking exercise, I used white & red primer to prepare the surfaces. The Hataka International Orange wasn't great, even though I sprayed thin coats, it still gave a patchy appearance, I had to go over it several times & eventually used a brush, I don't think I'll be buying any more Hataka paint in the near future.
DSCF0652.JPGDSCF0653.JPG
Even though the masking has worked OK, the huge contrast between the colours highlights the slightest flaw - I can see that a lot of touch ups will be needed - I'm thinking that the all-black finish didn't look too bad after all! I'll touch up as needed, then seal everything in with gloss varnish before decals.
I added 8 ball bearings to the nose, and that's enough to prevent it tail sitting.
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Coming along nicely Dave. It'll stand out on the shelf.