Dave Ward's Trumpeter 1/35 IT-1 Missile Tank - stalled build resumed!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After the Trumpeter SU-152, I decided that I'd enjoyed that build a lot, and to go for another Soviet vehicle.......
I started this a year or so ago, why I stopped, I can't recall, but the lower hull is complete, and painted, aside from the wheels, and tracks. All else seems to be on the sprue.
Oddball tank - not very many made - the missiles' large minimum range, gave a massive dead zone around the tank, and it's big physical size meant only a few reloads could be carried. After a few years service, I believe most were converted to recovery vehicles.
Construction will resume shortly..
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
IIRC, the IT-1 was largely a result of Nikita Khrushchev’s idea that missiles were the weapon of the future, so the Soviet Army, in order to be seen to follow that lead, developed a purely missile-armed tank on the basis of the then-brand-new T-62 MBT.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst I am waiting for parts to dry on my Eggcopter, and my FW190D, I decided to closely look at this stalled build.328937
State of play.......................328931328932
Hull finished, wheels painted, but separate tyres to be added. Apart from that most bits are still on the sprue............328935328936

There's a video on YouTube of the IT-1 firing the 'Dragon' missile from it's pop-up launcher - nice to see how thing work!
Several bags of individual track links - big enough for me to handle easily...........
Since there were very few IT-1 tanks made, the finish is ............................green328933
No decals!
All being well construction will (re) start today
Dave

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Good feeling to get a stalled build going again. Most unusual tank - I suppose it's a tank. Most unusual looking thing. Looks as if you're off to your usual neat, organised start.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
"neat, organised start." !!!?????!!!! You should have seen the trouble I had in getting the rats off the table, and recovering the camera from the chimps!
Seriously, though my bench is a mess!, but I know where everything is. If I tidy up, then for the next few days, I'm hunting for the right tools! It's the same with my paints - I occasionally try to organise them. It lasts about a week, but then I revert to my normal chaos - but it works for me!!!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for giving me a laugh on this cold, cloudy day. Your bench may not be tidy but your work is :smiling:
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
OK, I wan't quite truthful about the rats ( there aren't any ), and as for the chimps having the camera, that was totally incorrect - it was the capuchins! :tongue-out:
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All the other builds are drying their varnish coats, so I picked up this. The road wheels have separate rims ( rubber tyres) - it makes for easier painting. I sanded off most of the tread pattern on the outside of the rims. To paint, I thread the rims onto a rolled piece of paper329268
Then simply spray the rubber tyre mix ) a darkish grey ), over the rim kebabs!

I can now put the rims on the roadwheels, and complete the running gear assembly.
Next up will be all those lovely individual track links.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Running gear complete..........................
I'm going to finish the lower hull, complete with tracks, before moving up to the interesting
bits
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A little pile of joy! 670+ snips with the sprue cutter329531

Now, where's my straightedge?
Dave

• Wow

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cor blimey Dave that will keep you busy this will be a unusual build as ive never seen one of these before although tanks an such are not my main subjects I still look at them
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I like the rolled paper idea. As for the tracks - mind numbing.
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jim,
"neat, organised start." !!!?????!!!! You should have seen the trouble I had in getting the rats off the table, and recovering the camera from the chimps!
Seriously, though my bench is a mess!, but I know where everything is. If I tidy up, then for the next few days, I'm hunting for the right tools! It's the same with my paints - I occasionally try to organise them. It lasts about a week, but then I revert to my normal chaos - but it works for me!!!
Dave
Dave,
Tidy up the bench, put everything in a box, stand back and admire the clean bench, get that nice warm glow from seeing a clean bench - then just up end the box over the bench and be even happier.
Looking forward to seeing this green tank/thing finished, perhaps a little graffiti???
Cheers, Mike.

• Love

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
This painting on the sprue , seems a great idea, one I think I should addopt esp with my struggles with attempting g to remove the same to paint . I've done it either small things like weapons but never the wheels , until the next build .
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
I find it easier to clean up & retouch the sprue attachments, instead of creating a forest of wheels on cocktail sticks. It works nicely with the IT-1, with it's separate tyre rims.
After a mornings work ( OK, I had 2 cups of coffee, ans a Tesco delivery.....), the majority of work is done on the tracks. The IT-1 doesn't have any return rollers, so a simple curve for the top run will do.329658
I was careful, in cutting the links off the sprue - and I only had to clean up about 5 links for fitment. It pays to have a good sharp sprue cutter - and nice clean mouldings help! I must say I enjoy putting these larger links together - I just used a straight edge & TET
Time to prime!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tracks primed & one side completed - I miscalculated the number of tracks, and had to add the extra links ( the unpainted bits ) - still, better adding, rather than subtracting.329837

As far as individual track links go this has been pretty easy........................
Dave

• Wow

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's the lower hull, and running gear complete - I can now move on to some more interesting bits.....................................329879329880
I eventually had 14 links spare.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice looking sag, very natural .