Dave Ward's Zvezda 1/35 MSTA-S 152mm SPH - Completed

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is now finished...................fin 01.jpgfin 02.jpgfin 03.jpgfin 04.jpgfin 05.jpg
I enjoyed the Zvezda MSTA-S. The parts were crisply moulded, no flash, and the fit was very good. The instructions could be a little clearer in places, but dry fitting, and a little thought, will solve any problems. The most problematical area is the shell hoist on the back of the turret, I think Zvezda tried to replicate the mechanism too well! It's too fragile, and I had to replace a few bits by metal rod, to give it strength. I made it folded, but if you made it extended, and in use, I think that would make it worse!
The AK Real Colors, which I had not used before worked nicely, once I had worked out the thinning ratio, about 4-5:1, higher than other acrylics. I did a camo version, from pictures on the 'net. Zvezda only show all green versions.
I got the Zvezda MSTA-S for £22.95 a few months ago - a very good discount. I haven't seen the Trumpeter 2S19 in the flesh ( same thing, different designation! ), but the price is MUCH, MUCH higher. No doubt it is much more sophisticated, but I think the Zvezda offering is very good!, and looks the part! If any modeller is considering this, I would recommend it highly.
Thanks for dropping by - my construction of the 1/48 Mig-25 Foxbat B will start shortly.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
A great looking model. The camo has worked well with the AK paints. Certainly sounds as if Zvezda have upped their game.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work Dave. I enjoyed watching this one come together:thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A result to be proud of Dave. PaulE