Dave Ward's Zvezda 1/35 MSTA-S 152mm SPH

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Taking a short break from applying rib tapes to my SSW D.III I'm lining up for my next build......................zvezda msta.jpg
I'll put up some detail shots:
Suspension mountP1050315.JPG
Final Drive mountP1050316.JPG
Upper Hull edgingP1050317.JPG
Drivers' hatch
P1050318.JPG
Side hatch - moulded in placeP1050324.JPG
Top of the turret - non-slip & hatch openingP1050325.JPG
As you can see, all parts are crisply moulded, and no flash anywhere
Road wheel & drive sprocketP1050319.JPGP1050320.JPG
Tracks are link & length, with the hollow guide horns in strips - track sag is built in on the top runs
P1050326.JPG
There are some very fine parts - these are the front fender mounts/springs
P1050322.JPG
One of the weakest points is the barrel & muzzle brake - split into multiple parts - a lot of careful assembly & clean-up
P1050328.JPGP1050329.JPG
Decals are generally generic, but then the Russians don't go for a lot of identification.
I think I'm going for a camo scheme, so I got this AK set...........................
ak modern russian.jpg

Construction will start as soon as the SSW D.III is completed
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One of Zvezda's later models - no slide moulding, or PE, but excellent details - I'll have to wait to comment on the fit.
The MSTA-S ( also 2S19) has a whacking great turret on a T-80 chassis, with a T-72 diesel powerpack, so based on tried, tested, and available parts.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction underway! There are 451 parts in this, so.........................running gear 01.jpgrunning gear 02.jpg
Zvezda would have you start with the upper hull, but I want to get the lower hull & tracks etc finished first. There is no problem here with fit, all very good, some of the part ingates are a bit large & need careful removal. There are a lot of 'handed' parts, and similar looking parts, so care has to be taken to get the right bits in the right places.
The way that Zvezda have engineered this, you add all the inner roadwheels, the inner sprocket & idler halves. You add the track - then finally add all the outer wheel bits.
Dave

First Name
colin
Nice start Dave. It looks like a detailed kit if the hull is anything to go by.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been looking at camo schemes for this monster - Most, but not all seem to have the basic green on the running gear/hull side/wheels, so I'm going to go with that, the camo only appearing on the skirts/upper hull/turret ( internet pictures for discussion purposes only)msta_soviet_arty.jpgMSTA-S.jpg
There seems to be considerable variation in the camo patterns....................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Strange that they give you such a well-detailed lower hull, and then have you fix a big square plate in it for no reason that’s apparent from these photos.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lower hull primed and basecoated - same for the roadwheels................................hull basecoated.jpgroadwheels basecoated.jpg

The tracks, the lengths have their guide horns added, and some links that go round the the idler are assembledtracks 01.jpgtracks 02.jpg

Then all the track bits are primed/basecoated
tracks primed.jpg
I need to detail paint the hull, and roadwheels, and then will be ready to add the tracks - all going together nicely, so far
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Pete,
the way the model is engineered, it's purely a static model.
No benchtime today, life gets in the way of the important things occasionally!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a few days without benchtime, I've done the tracks. No real problems. The sprockets are keyed to the hull, so that is the starting point. I found that adding the sprocket & idler first helped alignmenttrack assy 01.jpg
In this side, I added the track lengths anti-clockwise. This means that any problems with spacing will be on the top run, which will be hidden by the skirts!
In the end, there wasn't any problem............
track assy 02.jpg
Both sides completed - a bit of touching up here and there, but running gear sortedtracks fini.jpg
Next will be the upper hull, by way of sorting out how well the bits for the gun barrel fit together. It's visually important, and I want to get any filing/filling done early.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The barrel is in halves...................
barrel bits.jpg
You have to decide whether you are going to have the barrel in the travel clamp - a lovely moulding - travel (L) or firing. It goes between the barrel sections.
barrel clamp.jpg
Mine will be in the travel position. It's quite a long tube, and it needs attention on the seams
assembled barrel.jpg
Muzzle brake dry fitted, it needs a bit of work on the baffles..
The upper hull has the exhaust, and 9 multi part storage boxes, as well as other plates
upper hull.jpg
Some of the parts have large sprue gates, but careful removal and trimming, and they all fit very well together.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The upper hull is complete, apart from the skirts, and the clear parts......................upper hull assy 01.jpg
The tiny parts for the headlamp guards etc need a fair deal of care in removal from the sprue, but fit well. The barrel stay is moveable
upper hull assy 02.jpg
I'm going to treat the MSTA_S as two separate kits for the present - the hull & chassis as one, and the massive turret as the other - for priming and camo painting
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking at those photos, I’m wondering how the driver can see anything useful out of the two side periscopes when the travel lock is in use.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
I assume that when the travel lock is in use, the driver will be 'heads out'. Folded forward, it's out of viewtravel lock.jpg
I bet a real problem is the length of the barrel, keeping it clear of obstacles, especially on narrow roads!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave.
Dam you always make tracks look easy !:smiling:
Very nice progress, looking fwd to see how you get on with those seams in the barrels, I find it hard to get rid of the smallest seam line.
John .

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
the way Zvezda have engineered the suspension and roadwheels make this an easy track build. The sprockets are keyed, so you have a fixed starting point, and the precise track links/runs follow on round from there - of course, if you wanted to show the suspension going over bumpy ground, you'd be in a real mess - but what percentage of modellers want 'working' suspension and tracks? ( You won't see the top runs anyway, they're hidden by the skirts ).
The barrel looks to be pretty good - I was afraid that it wouldn't dry straight - but it is.
I think that a metal barrel & muzzle brake would cause problems with weight, anyway, I don't think there is one available!
Dave

Reactions: JR