Dave Ward's Zvezda 1/35 MSTA-S 152mm SPH

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The upper hull was primed, allowed to dry, then basecoated
hull basecoated.jpg
The paint is AK Real Color - it needs a lot more thinning than other paints - I ended up about 5:1, before it sprayed well! Once that was sorted, it went on smoothly, and covered well
ak paint.jpg
I'll leave this overnight to really dry.............................
Dave

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Awesome kit David, and nice clean work.
Will keep an eye on...:thumb2:

Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Upper hull camouflaged...........................
upper camo 01.jpgupper cam 02.jpg
Chassis and hull unitedchassis assy.jpg
I can now put this aside, and start on the second part of the model - the turret.
There are a number of MSTA-S videos on YouTube, including a short one of inside of the turret, when loading & firing. Given that there is absolutely no interior in this model, it's just for interest. You can see how the stories of Russian autoloaders loading a man's arm may be true!
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some great work on a beautiful model. PaulE

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Work on the turret. It's flatpack - it needs careful assembly, but the fit is pretty good
turret assy 01.jpg

The barrel assembly - I've gone out of sequence, because I wanted to make all the seams good - like this, whilst able to handle.
mantlet.jpg
This runs up the centre of the mantlet, and is extremely visible, and would be fiddly to smooth out when assembled to the barrel ( dry fitted )
barrel assembly.jpg
I had a few moments of concern, as I couldn't fit the assembled mantlet over the breech end, but a few minutes of careful jiggling, and it WILL fit.
As my model will be in travel configuration, then the barrel will rest in the steady, but I can't see any way of securing the elevation, in firing position - the pivot being right at the breech end. ( That's for someone else to find out.....).
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The basic turret shell complete - The fit was very good, just wicked TET into the joints
turret assy 03.jpgturret assy 02.jpg
I thought there was an error, with plates overhanging, but looking at photos of the real thing, that's correct.
At this point in the build, I'm thinking, what's next?
I'm going to go for this - it's been begging me for attention since I got it.............
revell foxbat b.jpg
Revell reboxing of the ICM original ( got it at a VERY good discount, as is my custom :thumb2: )
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Missed the start of this - sorry. Caught up now. It looks a lovely kit and you seem to rate it highly. Fit and detail is great and Zvezda seem to have put a lot of thought into it. I assume it is a newish kit from them. Camo looks great. Looking at that gun I think 'size does matter' :smiling: :tongue-out3:
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
the MSTA-S dates from 2017. Zvezda really stepped up their game, from around 2012, before they were a typical clunky East European maker. Their first real beauty was the T-90
zvezda t-90.jpg
As you would expect Russian subjects are covered, The large 2016 T-35 was my next Zvezda 1/35 model
zvezda t-35.jpg
Zvezda have released variations of the Sd.kfz.251 .........................
zvezda 251.jpg

There's no slide moulding, or PE parts, but are still comparable with major Far East makers. ( Their 1/ 48 aircraft, like the La-5FN & the Pe-2 are very good as well! )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a benchtime free weekend, it's on with the turret. It seems that you add loads of handles, brackets etc etc, for a few hours, and it doesn't look much different from when you started!
nearly 01.jpgnearly 02.jpgnearly 03.jpg
At least the gun gives a good handle! Some of the hand/footholds need cleaning up - it's easier to do when attached to the model. I've yet to add the indirect fire sight, the heavy AA mg, and the folded shell conveyor - this has over 30 parts alone. Also missing are the tools, spare track links and other minor bits that will be added after the camo painting.
The fit is still very good, some of the smaller parts are delicate, and some of the ingates are large, but care and a sharp scalpel work wonders..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The AA mg is assembled, quite tricky, due to the small parts.
aa mg.jpg

Now, the shell hoist.......................................... This is a VERY tricky assembly, tiny pins, thin pieces, and rather vague instructions. I've spent a couple of hours trying to piece this together,shell hoist.jpg
I've broken several bits, had to remove, or replace others, and it's still not finished - the folding section still has to be fitted, that will hide some of the problems!
I feel that in this assembly, Zvezda have tried to do too much, the limitation of scale small parts has resulted in a flimsy structure. Moulding separate parts in one piece would have made this stronger ( and easier ).
At the moment, I've dropped CA on all the joints, and will leave it overnight to dry.
Dave

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a monster of a turret Dave. Despite the minor problems you've done a great job on it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I managed to get all the parts to stay together on the shell loader. and gave the lot a good prime
primed turet 02.jpgprimed turret 01.jpg
Well, after that, the camo will seem a restful period!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave.
Looking very smart.
Nice to read that Zvezda have made some good improvements. I've always liked their kits, esp the KV2.
Could that barrel be any longer ! Its massive.
Can you imagine an aftermarket metal one, the price would be a joke.
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Stunning detail - really crisp. Great paint job. You're on a bit of a roll with this :thumb2:
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Could that barrel be any longer ! Its massive.
Can you imagine an aftermarket metal one, the price would be a joke.
It would probably need to come with a piece of lead as a counterweight for the back of the model.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Getting really close to a finish now...............................nearly fin 01.jpgnearly hin 02.jpgnearly fin 03.jpgnearly fin 04.jpg
I'm going to give an overall matt varnish overspray, then a few gentle washes. The next pictures will appear in the completed section
Dave

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Dave,
That a fantastic cammo scheme, you’ve made a cracking job. Are you using the new airbrush for this?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Si,
no, not yet - the main idea of the 0.2mm airbrush is the mottle camo for WWII Luftwaffe, I've been toying with having a go at a 1/32 Bf 109, but I'll have to get a bit of practice in with the new toy first
Dave