Dave Ws 1/20 Tamiya Braun Tyrrell Honda 020 F1 GB

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst I am waiting for my varnish coat to dry on my Mig-21MF, I thought I'd take and put up the pics for my entry in this GB.........................................Boxart.jpg

I did get a bit carried away, and cut some parts off the sprues, but no cement was used before I remembered to take some pictures
gunmetal sprue.jpg
black sprue .jpgsuspension & wheels.jpginstr & decal.jpg
Typical Tamiya, not particularly many bits, but nicely engineered. The make or break of this will be the paint job - gunmetal grey. I have Vallejo Metal Color Gunmetal Grey to use on this. Construction will begin shortly............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
And we're off!
I'd forgotten how simply these 1/20 F1 cars go together, I've only used 25 or so parts, and already it looks ready to runbodywork primed.jpgengine primed.jpg

All these are primed, the bodywork ready for the gunmetal...............
Some of the colours called out are strange - the wheel hubs, a mix of red, gold & satin black. I've looked at pictures, and YouTube vids, and all the racing cars have black hubs - maybe the red/gold/black were on transport or show tyres (?!?)
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've given the body parts their first coat of Vallejo Metal Color gunmetal grey...................body gunmetal.jpg
As a first coat - no problems. I'll give it another coat, then I'll give it some gloss..............
The engine, painted, although with the cowling on, you can't see it.
engine painted.jpg
A bit of a touch up needed on the rocker box, by the logo. So far, no dramas
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The engine and rear suspension are finished, and mated to the underpanchassis engine.jpg
I have given the bodywork a second coat of gunmetal, and will give a coat of gloss varnish tomorrow. Some large decals have to be applied before I can go on to the front suspension, They're too big for my normal decal dish, so I'll have to find a larger one!
Dave
'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The tyres had a seam around the middle raw tyres.jpg
A few minutes scrub with wire wool..................
scrubbed tyres.jpg

The makers logo is a reverse decal, it's positioned on the tyre, then dampened, then peeled off leaving the decal the right way round. It's better to put the hubs in first - distorting the tyre may damage the decals ( I put two on before I realised this! ), but with a bit of care, I managed to get the hubs in.decalled tyres.jpg
I'm going to put some Decalfix on these..............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I forgot to mention the only option of this model - No.3 Satoru Nakajima, No.4 Stefano Modena - just decal differences.
Dave

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Dave
That’s looking good at least you have something resembling a F1 car mine still looks like the aftermath of a huge crash

Regards

Colin

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
2 gloss coats on the body work - still not shiny enough...................
gloss 02.jpg

Getting there. though
Dave

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Dave

Your tyres look very relastic now you sorted out the decals nice job can’t wait to see the finished job can’t really help you on the varnishes as my adventures with this stuff have not been A1 either one thing I do is after varnishing either matt satin or gloss I use that Johnson’s clear coat floor polish prior to applying the decals and after it has dried apply the decals after they have set go over it again with another coat to seal the decals in a protective coating on a gloss paint finish this gives it an extra shine or so it appears so it might help in your case

Regards

Colin

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'll get the gloss finish in another few coats - I prefer to do it in thin coats, allowing it to dry thoroughly before the next. The decals will go over the gloss coat, and be sealed in a further gloss layer. I'll use my normal DecalFix to get the decals to sit down snugly. One problem is that some of the decals are in one piece, despite reaching over two body parts..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally happy with the shine........................shiny enough.jpg
Ready for beginning the tricky business of applying long decals.
Also ready for assembly
seat etc.jpg

Would have been nice to have decals for the seatbelts, and the instrument panel?
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a day away from the bench ( NO, not the Royal Wedding, or the Cup Final ), I made a start on the decals. The main tub has had 3 decals added, and I will wait overnight to really let them dry. I'll give them a gloss varnish coat, as it will be handled in the next assembly stage.
body stripes.jpg

My normal DecalFix is a bit too fierce, I added decals to the front wing endplates, and it has softened them to the point of dissolving! Luckily it's just white, so paint will have to substitute. have some Vallejo 2-part solution, so I'm going to switch to that - a slow business!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's beginning to look like a car. finallyrolling chassis.jpg
Dry fitting the bodywork show a few fit problems - transfers go across the two major bodywork parts, so they will have to be adjusted, or glue the bodywork together - which would hide the engine away............
chassis & body.jpg It's going to be a matter of adding the large decals, allowing to settle down & thoroughly dry, before adding all the smaller decals. It's a slow process, so I can ponder on what my next build will be
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
More decals added, using the Vallejo decal solutions. I find it's the decals are the problem - very soft!wing & decals.jpg

The decal medium solution shows all the creases, but as it dries, it flattens out. I was going to do car #4, Stefano Modena, but a slip of the scissors, and it's car #3.............
Dave