Dave W's 1/24 Spitfire Vb

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job on the wings - looks like a Spitfire now.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Wow! 1/24! it must be HUGE! I'm sure you'll have a blast with it. while not really a plane guy , I'll be watching this one! Great scratch work! CARRY ON! ;)

First Name
Dave
View attachment 101864

View attachment 101865

View attachment 101866

I'm still sanding and adjusting parts to fit the kit.Ive decided against detailing the cannon bays.When I came to fit the panels over the bay's I found the built in blister doesn't touch the wing with the panel flush.So I've built one up with plastic card.Then I put some scrap plastic in the bay to give a more positive location for the panel and glued it to the model.The access panel for the machine gun just outboard of the cannon will need filling next as it wasn't there on the 'B' wing.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Z

Ziper_it

Taking a lot of notes for mine, looking very nice do far.

Will you glue moving surfaces later?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Taking a lot of notes for mine, looking very nice do far.
Will you glue moving surfaces later?
I will glue the ailerons on when I have finished all the sanding and rescribing.If I put them on now they will get broken off whilst I'm working on the model.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 102308

View attachment 102309

View attachment 102311

View attachment 102312

View attachment 102313

Yet more filling and sanding done.The underwing radiator has a large gap at the front and back that needs some attention with the Squadron Green.And the port wing cannon fairing is a worse fit than the starboard one.I will have to fill the gaps and rescribe the panel outline.Ive also filled in the machine gun panel detail just outboard of the cannons as these weren't there on the 'B' wing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

You're doing some great stuff there Dave - this thread has so taken this kit off my list! I could never manage all that!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
You're doing some great stuff there Dave - this thread has so taken this kit off my list! I could never manage all that!
I would never have bought this kit myself Patrick.My wife got it for £30 in Debenhams for me after I said I wanted to get the Hurricane!.So I pretended I was really pleased to be given it and thought I had better build it.But I'm actually really enjoying the build!.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 102496

View attachment 102497

View attachment 102498

I've glued the ailerons on and there is a large gap between them and the wing trailing edge.so I've moved the forwards a bit and reprofiled the trailing edge of the wing tips.This model has plastic blobs moulded on where the wing tip navigation lights go.Which is a bit disappointing in this scale.So I'm going to make some from clear sprue.And I've still got to finish detailing the undercarriage bays.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

A question for you Dave. I've only ever used Humbrol filler ( only needed filler once I started building aircraft!), but I've noticed that you & a lot of other guys use Squadron Green. How does this compare to the Humbrol stuff? And should I change, because Humbrol filler seems to shrink.

Cheers!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
A question for you Dave. I've only ever used Humbrol filler ( only needed filler once I started building aircraft!), but I've noticed that you & a lot of other guys use Squadron Green. How does this compare to the Humbrol stuff? And should I change, because Humbrol filler seems to shrink.
Cheers!
I've been using the Squadron product for years and I really like it.And it doesn't shrink.It contains Toluene ,so isn't liked by the 'Elf n Safety' brigade.Its good for big gaps on old kits.I also use Mr Surfacer 500 on scratches and stubborn seems.But it's no good for large gaps .Recently I've been trying out 'Perfect Plastic Putty'.Im quite impressed with it as it's easy to sand and any excess can be removed from the model with a damp cotton bud.There are lots of fillers on the market.Ive tried lots of them,But the three I've mentioned are the ones I use regularly.

Z

Ziper_it

Dave, you're doing a great work here.

... and I don't know if i will ever your patience with mine.

Francesco

Edit: have you ever tried milliput ? How does it compare to green and perfect plastic putty?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave, you're doing a great work here.
... and I don't know if i will ever your patience with mine.

Francesco

Edit: have you ever tried milliput ? How does it compare to green and perfect plastic putty?
The work you are doing on your engine shows that you have more patience than I have Francesco.I have tried Milliput.But as it dries hard as rock I find it very difficult to sand.I know you can work it before it sets,but I don't like the stuff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Funny, I could never get on with the green. Might have had an iffy one. It was very grainy and dried quicker than I could get it where I wanted it! Milliput I find is great. Sets hard yes but great for larger gaps and I like the fact that it can be cleaned up and smoothed over with water. Also good if you need to drill holes in.

Some good work going into your build Dave. Maybe we should have a bravery gong thing...

Ian M