Dave W's Airfix 1/48 'Muncheberg' BF109E-7

First Name
Dave
image.jpeg

Ive glued a slat from the other kit in my stash to the left wing.But i managed to damage it removing it from the sprue!. So ive put a bit of filler on it. The inserts for the guns on the wing leading edge needed a bit of filler as they dont fit too good. This kits ok. But its not as good as the Tamiya 109E i built years ago. I only really got this kit for the decal sheet. Maybe it doesnt seem that good because im also building the superb new Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
View attachment 151189 Ive glued a slat from the other kit in my stash to the left wing.But i managed to damage it removing it from the sprue!. So ive put a bit of filler on it. The inserts for the guns on the wing leading edge needed a bit of filler as they dont fit too good. This kits ok. But its not as good as the Tamiya 109E i built years ago. I only really got this kit for the decal sheet. Maybe it doesnt seem that good because im also building the superb new Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito.
I know what you mean Dave when you've spent a bit of time on a couple of decent models then the next one you do isn't quite in the same league you can really feel it can't you? Anyhow it's looking pretty good and a decent addition to the Malta SIG, I picked up the new airfix mkVb recently (which is probably the same as what you have in the box) and there is a scheme in their from Malta battle too but I think someone may have started or done that one already, I might have to find another decal sheet.

Nice work so far!

Phil

First Name
Dave
I havent had a lot of time for modelling over the past few weeks. But ive managed to get some paint on this one.I first primed the model with alclad grey primer.Then i sprayed white enamel on the aft fuselage for the white theatre band. And on the nose and rudder as a base for the yellow.Ive now sprayed the nose and rudder with Xtracolour RLM04 gelb .Im back up to Manchester tomorrow to work. Next week i will mask off the white and yellow,then start on the camouflage colours.

image.jpeg

First Name
Dave
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Im off shift again. So im back home with time for a bit of model making.Ive masked the yellow nose and white fuselage theatre band. Then ive sprayed Xtracolour RLM02 on the wings and fuselage spine.Next i will mask off the camo patern and spray on RLM71 Dunkelgrun. The fuselage has large areas of RLM02 according to the painting instructions.Ive not seen this on a 109E before.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Is this supposed to be his E-7, werknummer 4148? It is possible that RLM 02 was sprayed on the sides either under or as part of the mottle. Thinly appied RLM 02 was a fairly common method of toning down the rather blue RLM 65.

Here's a few images of the aircraft in question. I think the mottle was far more diffuse than implied in the instructions. These images were taken using orthochromatic film, hence the very dark looking yellow. This can effect other colours too, but nonetheless you can see the patterns and how they were applied.

Bf-109E7B-7_JG26-(W12+I)-WNr-4148-Gela-Sicily-1941-01.jpg

Bf-109E7B-7_JG26-(W12+I)-WNr-4148-Gela-Sicily-1941-02.jpg

Bf-109E7B-7_JG26-(W12+I)-WNr-4148-Gela-Sicily-1941-03.jpg

Bf-109E7B-7_JG26-(W12+I)-WNr-4148-undergoing-maintanence-Gela-Sicily-1941-01.jpg

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Is this supposed to be his E-7, werknummer 4148? It is possible that RLM 02 was sprayed on the sides either under or as part of the mottle. Thinly appied RLM 02 was a fairly common method of toning down the rather blue RLM 65.
Here's a few images of the aircraft in question. I think the mottle was far more diffuse than implied in the instructions. These images were taken using orthochromatic film, hence the very dark looking yellow. This can effect other colours too, but nonetheless you can see the patterns and how they were applied.

View attachment 154514 View attachment 154515 View attachment 154516 View attachment 154517

Cheers

Steve
Airfix don't give a werk no. decal or any info with this one.So who knows.And it's almost impossible to tell the colours from old photo's (for me anyway).In your photo second from bottom,the fuselage paint is much darker under the cockpit than around the number 12. Was RLM02 used, or a locally mixed colour?.I guess we will never know. Unless you have access to any accurate info?.Im tempted to do a 'standard' RLM02 and RLM71 mottle.

First Name
Dave
\ said:

View attachment 154514 View attachment 154515 View attachment 154516 View attachment 154517

Cheers

Steve
Steve.Airfix painting instructions give the prop and part of the spinner as Matt black.Ive always though Luftwaffe props were usually painted RLM71.Thats how I've painted mine. Would the spinner be RLM71 (and white) as well?.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The propeller blades would be RLM 70. Spinner at this time would also be RLM 70 and white. It is most unlikely that the spinner would be black at this time on an E-7, and even less likely that the propeller blades would be anything but the prescribed colour. You can't just slap paint on propellers for fear of causing imbalance and the instructions for the manufacturers were very specific, even specifying the number of coats of lacquer allowed.

The area at the base of each blade, just before it enters the hub, is unpainted metal. It extended 30mm from the hub and was to allow marks for blade adjustment to remain visible. This area wasn't always there (reasons below) but it is clearly visible on your subject.

Here's a translation of the rules for applying camouflage to metal propeller blades and spinners for your (and everybody's) reference.

"Properties of the metal surface

The surfaces of new propeller blades may not be polished. The original paint work on repaired air screws or hoods must be completely removed on both sides.

It will be removed with aviation stripper 7210.00. The stripper is brushed twice onto the old coating for this purpose. The coating is removed with wood wool after it has become completely soft.

The surface of parts from which paint has been removed or which are supplied bare must be thoroughly degreased and cleaned with aviation cleaning agent Z. Priming must start immediately after cleaning to prevent soiling and dust settling on the cleaned parts.

Applying Camouflage paint.

The blades of propellers (suction and pressure sides) and the surface of the spinners must be treated as follows when applying camouflage paint.

a. Aviation lacquer No. 7142

Spray thin.

Thinning ratio 1:1 with aviation thinner 7200.00

Drying time; at least 2 hours.

b. Aviation lacquer No. 7146.71
[this is an undercoat of RLM 71]

Spray

Thinning ratio 1:1 with aviation thinners 7200.00

Drying time: 3 hours.

c. Aviation lacquer No. 7146.70
[this is the top coat of RLM 70]

Spray

Thinning ratio 1;1 with aviation thinners 7200.00

When spraying previously unbalanced propeller blades, care must be taken that a strip 30mm wide above the edge of the spinner is not sprayed so that the mark for blade adjustment remains visible. This area must be protected with masking tape before spraying. The painted propeller blades and spinners must be rebalanced after a drying time of 3 hours, minor balancing errors being eliminated by further spraying with lacquer. Propeller blades and spinners are ready for operation after a further 12 hours. Propeller blades and spinners may not be greased."

As you can see, after cleaning and priming the blades and spinners received an undercoat of RLM 71 (dark green) and then a top coat of RLM 70 (black green). Later in the war, if I'm interpreting another instruction correctly, the undercoat was deleted.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
\ said:
The propeller blades would be RLM 70. Spinner at this time would also be RLM 70 and white. It is most unlikely that the spinner would be black at this time on an E-7, and even less likely that the propeller blades would be anything but the prescribed colour. You can't just slap paint on propellers for fear of causing imbalance and the instructions for the manufacturers were very specific, even specifying the number of coats of lacquer allowed.
The area at the base of each blade, just before it enters the hub, is unpainted metal. It extended 30mm from the hub and was to allow marks for blade adjustment to remain visible. This area wasn't always there (reasons below) but it is clearly visible on your subject.

Here's a translation of the rules for applying camouflage to metal propeller blades and spinners for your (and everybody's) reference.

"Properties of the metal surface

The surfaces of new propeller blades may not be polished. The original paint work on repaired air screws or hoods must be completely removed on both sides.

It will be removed with aviation stripper 7210.00. The stripper is brushed twice onto the old coating for this purpose. The coating is removed with wood wool after it has become completely soft.

The surface of parts from which paint has been removed or which are supplied bare must be thoroughly degreased and cleaned with aviation cleaning agent Z. Priming must start immediately after cleaning to prevent soiling and dust settling on the cleaned parts.

Applying Camouflage paint.

The blades of propellers (suction and pressure sides) and the surface of the spinners must be treated as follows when applying camouflage paint.

a. Aviation lacquer No. 7142

Spray thin.

Thinning ratio 1:1 with aviation thinner 7200.00

Drying time; at least 2 hours.

b. Aviation lacquer No. 7146.71
[this is an undercoat of RLM 71]

Spray

Thinning ratio 1:1 with aviation thinners 7200.00

Drying time: 3 hours.

c. Aviation lacquer No. 7146.70
[this is the top coat of RLM 70]

Spray

Thinning ratio 1;1 with aviation thinners 7200.00

When spraying previously unbalanced propeller blades, care must be taken that a strip 30mm wide above the edge of the spinner is not sprayed so that the mark for blade adjustment remains visible. This area must be protected with masking tape before spraying. The painted propeller blades and spinners must be rebalanced after a drying time of 3 hours, minor balancing errors being eliminated by further spraying with lacquer. Propeller blades and spinners are ready for operation after a further 12 hours. Propeller blades and spinners may not be greased."

As you can see, after cleaning and priming the blades and spinners received an undercoat of RLM 71 (dark green) and then a top coat of RLM 70 (black green). Later in the war, if I'm interpreting another instruction correctly, the undercoat was deleted.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for that Steve. I've already painted the propeller hub silver. I will have to repaint the spinner RLM70.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I've already painted the propeller hub silver.
Hub and base of the blade were unpainted metal. You can clearly see this on the head on photograph with Muncheberg's crew chief (whose name evades me at the moment) holding a blade with his right hand.

You can also see that the blades and dark colour on the spinner look the same in B+W. They'd look the same in colour too, RLM 70 :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hub and base of the blade were unpainted metal. You can clearly see this on the head on photograph with Muncheberg's crew chief (whose name evades me at the moment) holding a blade with his right hand.
You can also see that the blades and dark colour on the spinner look the same in B+W. They'd look the same in colour too, RLM 70 :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
Ive also noticed in your photos the RLM70 covers about two thirds of the spinner and not half as in the Airfix painting instructions. Thanks again Steve.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Ive also noticed in your photos the RLM70 covers about two thirds of the spinner and not half as in the Airfix painting instructions. Thanks again Steve.
Correct. The 1/3 white spinner was an IFF marking (like the later spirals). It was introduced in early 1941 at the point of production and applied retrospectively by some units in the field. It's a fairly simple job to work out 1/3 of the spinner covering a 3 bladed propeller set up :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
image.jpeg

P
\ said:
Correct. The 1/3 white spinner was an IFF marking (like the later spirals). It was introduced in early 1941 at the point of production and applied retrospectively by some units in the field. It's a fairly simple job to work out 1/3 of the spinner covering a 3 bladed propeller set up :smiling3:
Cheers

Steve
Ive found another illustration which shows the mottle on the fuselage. I should be able to do that with my airbrush without too much trouble. The text mentions the white bar was over painted with a white theatre band.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking good, interesting paint reference chatter also guys! Noted.

Phil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The text mentions the white bar was over painted with a white theatre band.
It was, but nobody seems sure exactly when :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve