Dave W's BAC Lightning

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great Dave. I wanted to do the same model, but time is against me. I'll have to watch your build instead.

First Name
Dave
Nearly ready for paint now.I've decided to have the canopy closed so it's now masked and glued on.Im going to do a 23 sqdn machine with white spine and fin.Will spray the white areas first then mask and spray the rest of the model with Alclad black primer.Dont know if the Alclad will react with Vallejo primer.So I will have to try it on a test piece first.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good idea to try the primer on a scrap piece first. I am a bit worried that the one will eat the other..

If it is all primed, it might be better to spray a gloss black enamel then the alclad onto that. I know others have use alclad on top of gloss enamel with good results. Again try it first!

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Dave. Hoping this paint job turns out with no problems.

First Name
Dave
I've sprayed the undercarriage bays with Vallejo aluminium.Then I masked these and other areas ready for spraying.Ive then put a length of dowel up one jet pipe to hold the model with and sprayed a coat of primer on.Will check the model next to make sure Ive got rid of all the seams.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great Dave , the U/C bays look fine to me now theyve been primed ,nice work filling the cannons too, cheers tony

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looks great Dave , the U/C bays look fine to me now theyve been primed ,nice work filling the cannons too, cheers tony
There's a plain panel for the F6 instead of the cannon panels. But the cannon panel was a better fit.So I used that and filled in the gun trough.

M

MPal

That 23 squadron is very very nice in the pic you posted.

Good progress with the Model, and can't wait to see it wearing that scheme.

First Name
Dave
Well my first time using Alclad hasn't worked very well.There are a couple of blemishes on the tops of the wings where I rubbed down some imperfections in the black base and didn't respray it properly.And there's a run in the paint on one side of the fuselage.Both problems are my fault.So the best thing to do now is leave it alone and get on with the Defiant.When I've got rid of the runs I will respray the Black base coat and try again.Not sure if you can do that.So I will try on the undercarriage doors first.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
I was going to leave it alone.But I've just managed to remove most of the Alclad Aluminium with a dry cloth.So all is not lost.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fun in it!

I always find some spot that could have been better.

Just one thing. Keep handling to a minimum until its had a clear coat.

By the way you can spray more on top. Alclad on Alclad, but not sure about the black base on top of the 'finish'

A soft cloth dampened with white spirit does a good job of removing the metalic finish down to the black base.... found that out the hard way. I apperently missed a bit when I clear coated my lightning prior to the wash. :oops:

Looking nice and shiny Dave.:cool:

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I've just had a go at removing the rest of the Alclad with a white spirit dampened cloth.Worked well but it's also removed some of the black base!.So now I've got to remove the rest of the black...

First Name
Dave
Just done a bit more paint removal and the white primer has decided it wants to come off as well!.So I might as well strip the whole model.The inevitable has happened as well.One of the tailplanes has broken off.Not a problem as it's come away cleanly.i think the best thing to do when disaster strikes is to put the model away and come back to it when you've calmed down.In the mean time start something else.I will leave this now and have another go tomorrow.I will now buy some Alclad primer and start again once the paints stripped off.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ouch!

My one it only removed the metalic and did nowt to the black base..... I feel kind of bad now.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Ouch!My one it only removed the metalic and did nowt to the black base..... I feel kind of bad now.

Ian M
Not your fault Ian.Probably me rubbing too hard!.I should have used Alclad primer in the first place.My second attempt will be better.As you say,it's only paint.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
ouch! The swear box must have been a lot richer after that one Dave! Good luck with the stripping , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It'll be easier the next time probably Dave, at least the main model is undamaged. Onwards and upwards :smiling3: