Dave W's Harrier

First Name
Dave
As I'm at the painting stage with my other two builds I thought I would make a start on this.Its the same kit as Ian M's but is the only Harrier in my stash.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It's a good build but watch out for the GR7/GR9 parts. I think I used the GR7 IP cover.... Ops-

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice. I'd like a 1:48 Harrier, so I'll see which one you all like the most, whilst I tinker away with my 1:72.

P

Polux

Good luck with it Dave!! Anyway, if you do the same excellent work as on your Defiant, well....will be a fantastic Harrier :rolleyes:

Polux

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice one Dave, will enjoy watching this one too. I'm still undecided about the later generation harriers. I still think the best looking were the Sea Harrier FRS1's. The ugliest the GR3's with their dolphin noses.

First Name
Dave
I finally got around to starting the Harrier this evening.glued the fuselage,nose cone and wings together.Then I assembled the seat,instrument panel and cockpit tub.as I intend using the instrument decals I sanded the raised detail off the side consoles.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good start Dave, be good to see the end product.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good Dave , it doesnt look too complicated , i like it , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Got the wings, fin and a few fairings and sticky out bits glued on.I decided to use the instrument decals so applied them to the cockpit panels.Ive also assembled and painted the seat.I will have to try to make some straps as it looks a bit bare without them.

First Name
Dave
I've now got the forward fuselage and intakes glued on.But I've got something slightly out of position somewhere .I suspect I glued the bulkhead with the engine fan blades on it in the wrong position as I was able to unstick and move the nose and intakes around.But still couldn't get a perfect fit.So it looks like I've made a bit of unnecessary work for myself.Ive also stuck the Aden cannon on.They are included in the kit,but not shown on the painting guide.But I like them so they are on.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OUch. The fit of the nose section, was a bit iffy on mine as we. sort of fitted where it touched. Took a bit of time and a few clamps to get that right. I'm sure you will get it sorted.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I've done a bit of filling and sanding to fix my mistake.Still a bit to do.Ive also glued the wing pylons on.But I've left the inboard ones off for ease of painting.

C

Caledonia

Nice one Dave, I suppose if we didn't face challenges it wouldn't be so much Fun (I think????) Cheers Derek

First Name
Dave
I've done a bit more sanding and filling to rectify my mistake behind the cockpit.No doubt a coat of primer will show up a few flaws.Ive also added a few antenna and intake scoops.The canopy transparency is a bit wider than the frame that it fits on.So I've glued these parts with CA.When I glue it to the model I will have to squeeze the sides a bit and use CA to secure it.Otherwise the canopy assembly will be wider than the cockpit sills.Im a bit surprised at that ,especially as this is a reboxed Hasegawa kit.