Dave W's Harrier

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The canopy on my 1:72 Hasegawa is wider than the cockpit. A lot of difficult filling.

First Name
Dave
I

\ said:
The canopy on my 1:72 Hasegawa is wider than the cockpit. A lot of difficult filling.
I don't think hasegawa are all they are made out to be.Good,but not the best.Not really enjoying this one.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
They all drop a ball every now and again. But a canopy is a difficult thing to correct. Possibly easier to leave open to hide the width issue? How did Ian get around this on his Harrier?

First Name
Dave
It

\ said:
They all drop a ball every now and again. But a canopy is a difficult thing to correct. Possibly easier to leave open to hide the width issue? How did Ian get around this on his Harrier?
It will fit.Just need to superglue it in place whilst squeezing it gently.The windscreen is the same.Need to coat both in Klear first to stop the glue fogging them.guess how I found that out?!!.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
I've resurrected this build this evening.The canopy and windscreen are too wide where they fit onto the model.So they need to be squeezed and held in place whilst the glue dries.This means using CA.While trying to glue the windscreen on I have managed to get superglue on the inside of the transparency. Not once but twice!.So I've had to polish the screen on two occasions now to make it clear again.Theres a small patch of glue on the outside along the bottom edge which will need to be cleaned up.This time no alcohol was involved in the cock ups!.I hope to start painting the model soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good progress Dave. Shame about the canopy fit, but looks like you have got it looking right now.

First Name
Dave
I've just had a priming session.I used Alclad white primer/micro filler for the first time.Quite impressed with the results.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good job on the bubble. A pity about the CA cock-up. I think it is the shape of the canopy, and it opens out once removed from the sprue. I have built one where the canopy was glued in directly after cutting it from the sprue and it went on well. The other where the canopy was cut off the sprue, dipped in clear, masked then put in place was almost 5mm to wide....

Pinching it in you could see that the fit was good.

Good stuff the Alclad primer. I use it pretty much all the time now. (much to SWMBO's distaste!)

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Done a bit more painting tonight.Airbrushed the exhaust nozzles and heat shields with Alclad steel.Then I painted the sidewinders white Nd put a first coat of Humbrol medium sea grey (enamel on the model.0

First Name
Dave
The pictures below should be in the post above.I tried posting on my phone without my glasses on and hit the wrong button!.

D

dubster72

That looks nice Dave - I've not tried Alclad yet, but it seems to good down nicely.... I should rephrase that!

Nope CBA!

Also nice to see another tidy workbench!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Your nozzles look very good Dave (first time I've ever said that to a bloke). The Harrier is looking good too, nice and clean build so far, am looking forward to seeing it painted.

First Name
Dave
Last night I masked the model and this evening I've sprayed two coats of Vallejo dark sea grey on the model.Masking now removed.The underside colour is Humbrol enamel 165 medium sea grey.Tomorrow I will gloss coat the Harrier ready for decaling.

0ne48thtel

Just caught up with this build Dave. It looks like it will be another top build from your bench.

First Name
Dave
Over the last few days Ive put the decals on and applied a panel wash.Tomorrow I will clean off the excess wash then put a satin clear coat on.