Dave w's Matchbox 1/32 Spitfire mk24

First Name
Dave
This is my entry for the old kit build.Its a classic Matchbox kit and was produced between 1977 and 1982. It's currently boxed by Revell. I loved building Matchbox when I was a kid.But I could never afford the 1/32 range.I picked this one up with a bunch of other kits a couple of years ago.I got it for £2!. Don't know if it's worth anything as a collectors item. But I don't care. As far as I'm concerned,kits should be built. Not gathering dust in someone's loft waiting for the value to go up. It's a kit of its time and apparently has some accuracy issues. But I'm not bothered about that. I'm going to build it out of box apart from a fabric seat belt set. It's got those great instruction sheets that I remember and some detailed painting instructions. Not sure about the decal sheet. Some ink from the instructions has stuck to one of the roundels. But I've got spares that should be suitable.Not sure when I will start it as I've got a Lancaster on the go as well.

View attachment 118695

View attachment 118696

View attachment 118697

View attachment 118698

View attachment 118699

View attachment 118700

View attachment 118701

View attachment 118702

View attachment 118703

View attachment 118704

View attachment 118705

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice Dave , like yourself I used to look at these and the Revell 1/32 kits with awe , but could never afford them normally , I had to wait till a birthday to get anything big! Which scheme are you going for? I always liked the look of the Egyptian one with the all over silver and green roundels, cheers tony

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Great choice Dave , like yourself I used to look at these and the Revell 1/32 kits with awe , but could never afford them normally , I had to wait till a birthday to get anything big! Which scheme are you going for? I always liked the look of the Egyptian one with the all over silver and green roundels, cheers tony
Not sure yet.Probably the camouflaged RAF one.Will have to test a decal to see what they are like before I decide.

D

dougie

That's the attitude, stuff keeping the kits for a profit, build build build haha

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one Dave. I built the Revell re-box some years ago, which was a bit warped in places. However as your is an original, I hope it's a lot straighter.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 120197

View attachment 120198

I've made a start on this whilst I wait for the glue to harden on he Lancasters engine nacelles. I've never built a kit where the wing is built in sections with internal spars.seams to work though.And this is a 1977 kit.Eat your heart out Zoukie Mura!.image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 120231

View attachment 120232

I've glued a few bits of the engine and interior parts together.There are two fuel tanks to glue into the fuselage.But they won't be seen when the models together.As can be expected for a model of this vintage the exhausts are solid. So I've started drilling them out.The instrument panel has a strange clear insert.Dont know what Matchbox were thinking of there.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
View attachment 131995 View attachment 131996 The instrument panel has a strange clear insert.Dont know what Matchbox were thinking of there.
Some finish that central panel in a slightly different dark grey/black to the rest of the instrument panel. I can't see any evidence for this in the real thing.

Why Matchbox made it as a clear part I know not :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking nice. Have you had a trial fit of the front end yet ? This is where I found my 'bendy bits' on my Revell build.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking nice. Have you had a trial fit of the front end yet ? This is where I found my 'bendy bits' on my Revell build.
I've not tried the front end yet.But nothing's warped so hopefully it will go together ok.Im going to paint the engine.But I might have to glue all the cowlings on to give the fuselage a bit of rigidity.We shall see...

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You really went old school, nice choice Dave and looks to be a good start.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 120616

View attachment 120617

The instrument panel only has raised circles for detail.So I've used a decal from the Revell 1/32 Hurricane in my stash.Yes I know it's not accurate.But it will look OK through a closed canopy.Ive glued the fuselage halves together and glued the wing root fairing sections to the wing.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Some nice work Dave is it plastic or metal your working on with those clamps Dave :smiling3:
The clamps are left over from the days when I used to do metal repairs on real aircraft.They are fine on plastic as long as you don't do them up too tight!.