Dave W's Phantom

J

Jim Scott

A wee bit late, Happy Birthday Dave, looking forward to seeing your Phantom come together.

Jim

First Name
Dave
Bit of progress the last few days.Cockpit together and painted best I can.Theres a big hole in front of the navigators feet.So I filled that with a piece of plastic card.

My son in law gave me one of those Humbrol work trays for my birthday.Was going to sit in front of the telly with it on my lap.But Monty decided he would use it as his bed!.

I'm surprised at some of the details in such an old kit.Its got the circuit breaker panels in the back cockpit sidewalls.And even the levers for opening the canopies are moulded on the left side walls just below the sills.

I found it difficult to locate the cockpit in the right fuselage half.Theres a ridge moulded in to sit the cockpit on.But mine Didnt fit very well. I had to use some two part epoxy to strengthen the joint.Now Ive got a large gap around the rear bulkhead.And I think the rear cockpit is sitting too low.Might have to perform a bit of surgery to move it up a bit as the ejection seat looks to be sitting too low to me.

Last thing I did this evening was glue the Fletchers together.

First Name
Dave
Thanks Ian.Ive had another look at it and I'm sure the cockpit is located correctly.Ive still got to fit the top pieces to the seats.So they should look right then.And the location of the rear instrument panel stops you lifting the back end of the cockpit any higheranyway.I was going to have both canopies open.But. Can't be bothered sorting out the big gaps around the top of the rear bulkhead.Ive filled them with Microscale crystal clear.Will paint it and close the rear canopy.This is a typical ex Monogram kit.Nicely detailed,acurate but with some poor fitting parts.The fuselage halves fitted together well after I'd sanded them a bit though.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along nicely Dave.

I know how you have it with the cat. But at least he is white and can see him in the dark. Our two monsters, I mean cats, have learnt not to go near my model stuff! (when I am at home that is).

I have seen/heard that the cock pit fit in that kit is a bit trying, but it looks like you got the better of it.

Ian M

M

mobear

Dave thats looking good so far,i seem to be having the same prob as you,and i havent finished the cockpit details yet,my dry brushing is awful lol

mobear

D

Danny

A few things to be aware of with the cockpit...make sure the pilots control panel is well stuck if your closing the canopy ! (A lesson learned for me !), secondly, If you choose to put the seated figure in the front seat, you might need to practice a wee bit of foot amputation, like the paperwork pic, that figure is for the back seat. I think it was while putting it in front to see what my options were, that i dislodged the front panel... Hopefully theses were just my problems and wont be yours :smiling3:

Danny

First Name
Dave
Thanks Danny.Will be using the standing figure on this build.Will try to paint a tache on it to make it look a bit like Robin Olds!.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, your Phantom is coming along nicely. Some good detail in that older kit as you say.

First Name
Dave
Started cleaning up the seams.Then before I knew it I had the scribing tool out.So now I will have to scribe the whole model!.I started with the top of the fuselage where the Phantom has two long spine panels.In the middle of these panels are several small circular panels.These are for access to the fuel pumps.I will have to find a suitable template for these.The Phantom has seven separate fuel tanks in the fuselage under these long panels above and between the engines.Tank no.7 is under the front of the fin.It doesn't hold a lot and wasn't used on the British version of the F4.Last thing I did this evening was apply my favourite Squadron green to the seams.

M

mobear

i take it yours goes together with a huge step on top of the fuse mine does arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh,gonna have to look for a way to put the rings back maybe,

good luck on yours mate

mobear

D

Danny

In the Canon forum its compulsory to capture a photograph of a duck...I think building this kit should be compulsory in here. From filling and sanding, to scribing and styrene re-alignment, all skills are there to practice on...

Danny

First Name
Dave
Just read a review of the new Academy F4B.They reckon its superb. Oh how I wish they'd done an F4C.They will probably bring one out when I've finished this old kit!.

D

Danny

I got it as a late Christmas pressie Dave, It looks and feels good...1 piece body, so your green filler wouldnt be needed. They put a in spare sprues of all the payload...(Nice). I would guess its a bit ore expensive than the Revell 4C.

Danny

First Name
Dave
This Phantom is cheap.You get what you pay for as they say.It will still build into a nice model though.Just take a bit of work which I'm happy (!) to do.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A question for you Dave. The heat protection under the tail of the fuselage, Do you recall what they where made off and how they where treated.

I refer to the "plating that looks like scales". Most kits say paint it black....... Sounds boring.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
They were made from titanium and double skinned.Cant remember how they we're finished but they were almost black.The flat panels on the fuselage above them were cut from titanium sheet.The arrestor hook was usually covered in black soot.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for that Dave.

I can start to figure out how to paint them.....

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like a fair bit of work dave but i know youll beat it , some great reference in this thread too , cheers tony