Dave W's Phantom

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
They were made from titanium and double skinned.Cant remember how they we're finished but they were almost black.The flat panels on the fuselage above them were cut from titanium sheet.The arrestor hook was usually covered in black soot.
My research into the US Navy schemes shows they weren't painted, but rather covered in soot as was the arrestor hook. The US engines were notoriously smoky, this being one of the drawbacks of the earlier Phantoms. The F-4S was a redeveloped and enhanced F-4J which went to some lengths to reduce the smoke trails left by the engines. I'm unsure how smoky the RR Speys were.

D

Danny

Dave maybe you can help me either through your experience of the phantom or by checking to see if I am missing something in the instructions (I am needing new glasses )... Ok...The canopy, there are 4 decals on the sheet, 2 of which go onto the F-4D canopy, the pilot and navs names...I cant see any example of the other 2 being used on the F-4C which Im building. The 4 decals all have different names on them so Im assuming 2 go with each version you can build from this kit.....Am I assuming right that there are 2 for each?.. Thanks in advance.

Danny

First Name
Dave
All 4 decals go on the F4D.208 and 209 go on the left side of the canopies and are the aircrews names.The other two,210 and 211 carry the crew chiefs names and go on the right side of the canopies.The F4C has none.

First Name
Dave
Tonight I have been mostly scribing panel lines.Ive done most of the fuselage and made a start on the wings.Couldnt wait to finish the wings before i glued them to the model.They are a bit warped but taped to the model theyve straightened up a bit.This kit is made from hard plastic.Which is good because it makes it difficult to scribe too deep.Going to add the intakes then sand off the raised detail next.

I've noticed a small problem that needs sorting.The gap at the back of the rear cockpit shouldn't be there.So I'm going to have to fill it with plastic card and cut slots for the canopy hinge arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jim Scott

I know what you mean Dave re- the gap in the pit, I just filled it level when the filler had gone off I sanded it flat and using the canopy lugs as a template drew around them and carefully notched out the aperture..Jim

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I know what you mean Dave re- the gap in the pit, I just filled it level when the filler had gone off I sanded it flat and using the canopy lugs as a template drew around them and carefully notched out the aperture..Jim
Sounds like the best way to do it.More green filler needed!.I think the back end of the cockpit tub is supposed to fill that gap.But that would push the instrument panels and seats too far forward.Im glad others have found the same problem.I was beginning to think I had assembled it wrong.

M

mobear

i1m in the same predicament,to fill in or not to fill in?first thing first though,anyone know how to stop plastic melting from the putty? arrrgghhhhh

mobear

First Name
Dave
\ said:
i1m in the same predicament,to fill in or not to fill in?first thing first though,anyone know how to stop plastic melting from the putty? arrrgghhhhhmobear
What putty are you using?.Ive tried several different ones.But I keep going back to the Squadron green.Easy to sand and doesn't melt the plastic.Ive got Mr Surfacer 500.But have found its only any good for tiny gaps or fine scratches.No good on these old kits!.

First Name
Dave
I had a tube of that once.Cant remember having any problems with it though.

M

mobear

i`ll upload pics of what i used it for,then you may laugh lol

mobear

First Name
Dave
Still a lot to do before I even start thinking about priming this model.Ive glued the intakes on.The left side needed a slice of plastic card.Otherwise there would be a step down from the fuselage to the intake.

I've started to correct the gap in the fuselage behind the rear canopy.Filled it with plastic card and green filler.Supposed to be able to sand the squadron green after half hour.But I always leave it overnight.

That's it for tonight.More filling and sanding tomorrow!.

S

Sky Raider

Nice recover Dave, cant beat the green putty mate. I have white also but i find that the white doesnt sand as easy and fine as the green does.

Cheers

Andy

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice recover Dave, cant beat the green putty mate. I have white also but i find that the white doesnt sand as easy and fine as the green does.Cheers

Andy
I agree Andy.Best stuff Ive used.Ive tried Humbrol,Vallejo,Tamiya ,Squadron white and Mr Surfacer 500.But I think Squadron green is better than all of them.I like the Mr Surfacer.But it's no good on these old kits with their big gaps.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I spent a week or more sanding my Phantom Dave. Fun isn't it?

First Name
Dave
More filling and sanding this evening.The intakes need a second round of filler.

There are some raised panel details on the sides of the intakes.At first I thought they were battle damage repairs.But the same shapes are on both intakes.Access panels wouldn't be raised in that area so Ive started to scribe the outline and sand off the raised bit.

Going to leave it a couple of hours and maybe do some more scribing.Think i will go and see what crap the wife's watching on the telly.

First Name
Dave
I've got the intakes faired into the fuselage now and the hole behind the rear canopy filled in.

Done a bit more scribing on the wings.Gone over the spoilers just forward of the ailerons.And the panels in front of the spoilers that contain the hydraulics and control rods for ailerons and spoilers.Not going to go over every line.Just the control surfaces and a few panels.