Dave W's Phantom

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The scribing is looking very effective Dave.

First Name
Dave
Thanks Joe.Im doing a lot more work than I intended on this kit.Perhaps it's the pressure of doing a SIG build.I want to make as good a job of it as I can.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Thanks Joe.Im doing a lot more work than I intended on this kit.Perhaps it's the pressure of doing a SIG build.I want to make as good a job of it as I can.
LOL.

That is kind of the idea behind the SIG builds. Give them all that you can and go the extra mile to get the most out of the subject as you can.

You are doing a great job.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I'm still not happy with the rear cockpit position.The seat still looks too low to me.Hopefully it will look better when the top piece is fitted to the seat

J

Jim Scott

Nice scribing Dave, I am not brave enough yet to attempt what you have superbly accomplish.

First Name
Dave
Thanks Jim.Tonight Ive finished doing all the scribing and separated the trailing edge flaps from the fuselage with a razor saw.Ive also glued the rear canopy and centre arch on with Micro crystal clear.That way I was able to paint the cockpit sills matt black first so no unpainted areas show through the canopies.The gap behind the rear canopy needs building up a bit more with filler.Will wait until the canopy is firmly glued on before I do that.

The auxiliary air doors are moulded on the underside.But there are none on the upper rear fuselage.Or maybe Ive sanded their raised detail off.Will have to live with that.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Really impressive work on this Dave. It's funny you mentioned your rear cockpit seat appearing ot be too low inside the cockpit, my RIO looks like he is ducking for cover. I thought that was just an Airfix issue but maybe they did sit rather low in the rear?

First Name
Dave
Got a bit more done this evening.Masked and fitted the rest of the canopy parts.Added a bit more filler to the fuselage behind the rear canopy.I will need to sand it very carefully to avoid damaging the transparency.After reading Ian M's build I realised I'd forgotten to scribe the fuel pump access panels along the spine of the fuselage.Will do it tomorrow evening when I get back from the Football league trophy final at Wembley.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Canopy masking! The down side of aircraft building. There is always a catch. Aeroplanes, its the canopies, Tanks its the tracks, figures its painting the darn things!!!

Did you canopy have the almost invisible frame lines? I had to hole mine up to a light to try and find the blasted things when I had to cut the tape on the front screen!

Dave; any idea if the stencil data on a white underside would of been black, or some other colour, yellow perhaps? My kit came with RAF decals, and ALL the stencils are WHITE! Not much use on a white paint job...:confused:

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Canopy frames are well defined on this kit.So masking was easy.The windscreen would have been very difficult otherwise.i think the underside decals were white on RAF Phantoms. But that was on a medium sea grey not white underside.

First Name
Dave
A little bit of progress. Tonight I scribed the access panels along the spine of the fuselage.I used a washer taped in position and a needle in a pin vice to scribe the circles.Dont think they are in exactly the right places as I sanded the raised detail off a couple of weeks ago.But it looks better than no detail at all.Will spray some primer on tomorrow.

J

Jim Scott

Looking real good Dave..I am realising how much you guys put into it, and its all on the button.

Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Look as if they are in the right places to me. I cant see in the photo, but have you remembered the smaller one on the hump behind the canopy?

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I think that was some kind of antenna,not an access panel Ian.The area it's on was itself an access panel that was hinged at the back just in front of the long spine panel.Very similar to the door on the Tornado.I will probably paint the circle on.Just put a coat of primer on the model.this has shown up a few areas that need attention as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
I noticed a while ago that the camo patern on Robin Olds F4 was different to the one in the kit instructions.Even though the same colours are used.So I had a hunt on the Internet and found a scheme and some more photos of the man himself.

First Name
Dave
I've filled the scribing mistakes and put a final coat of primer on.Then I sprayed the nose radome with Vallejo black.Im going to have a go at salt weathering on this one.So I've sprayed some aluminium paint on.I can't work out if the colour showing through the camo is grey undercoat or bare metal.So right or wrong I'm going with bare metal.I used Humbrol enamel aluminium as Ive had problems spraying on top of Vallejo aluminium.Will put the salt on tomorrow.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking nice Dave. It's always great to be at that point were you know, no more filling and sanding.