Dave W's Revell 1/48 Tornado ADV Saudi Air Force

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cripes Dave, that isn't good. I still think it's worth persevering. Hopefully you can restore the detail later after you've solved the gaps.
I'll be sure to test fit, test fit and test fit again when I get round to my two Revell 1/48 Tonkas.

To be honest, the first thing I thought of when inspecting the parts of this kit was, 'that multipart fuselage is going to be tricky'.

I really hope you sort this out Dave. The build has been progressing well up to now, and I think if you can solve this you're on the home straight.

All the best
Paul

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Like you Dave I was quite interested and hopeful that this kit would lead the field for this aircraft type but I'm glad I've held back from getting one so far, what a dog it is. The trouble is I have the IDS version in the loft - I might ditch that one and retain the Italeri kit I also have.
Some one was asking recently what the best kit manufacturer is, well it ain't Revell.

First Name
Dave
You can even see in the photo in the instructions what a bad fit the intake is. They havent even tried sanding the sides flush with the top. And theyve really overdone the weathering to try to make it look good.
4E3ABB57-2E56-423D-9F3E-D0A3FABC5A7E.jpeg66BD3DCB-B106-48C9-B1A2-D3C29A2E1157.jpeg

First Name
Dave
Cripes Dave, that isn't good. I still think it's worth persevering. Hopefully you can restore the detail later after you've solved the gaps.
I'll be sure to test fit, test fit and test fit again when I get round to my two Revell 1/48 Tonkas.

To be honest, the first thing I thought of when inspecting the parts of this kit was, 'that multipart fuselage is going to be tricky'.

I really hope you sort this out Dave. The build has been progressing well up to now, and I think if you can solve this you're on the home straight.

All the best
Paul
Ive done lots of test fitting Paul. Hopefully you will make a better job of it than im doing

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave
I wasn't implying that you didn't test fit before hand. I know your work, and I know you know what you're doing. Truth is, it looks a poor fit (even on the box art). Now that you've highlighted the problem I'm wondering if minor surgery to the parts might be required?

This might seem crazy, but I now have three of these Revell kits: two GR4s and an IDS. Your experience has me concerned. I may use the IDS version as a test mule to analyse the build (without paint) and highlight the fit issues, and what the best course of action is to remedy them. Once I've done that I'll build the other two, keeping the mule in case I need to break it open to replace wings with broken flap attachments.

I'm completely confident that you'll sort the intakes Dave and I'm grateful for your insight into the kit, one modeller to another.
All the best
Paul

First Name
Dave
Hi Dave
I wasn't implying that you didn't test fit before hand. I know your work, and I know you know what you're doing. Truth is, it looks a poor fit (even on the box art). Now that you've highlighted the problem I'm wondering if minor surgery to the parts might be required?

This might seem crazy, but I now have three of these Revell kits: two GR4s and an IDS. Your experience has me concerned. I may use the IDS version as a test mule to analyse the build (without paint) and highlight the fit issues, and what the best course of action is to remedy them. Once I've done that I'll build the other two, keeping the mule in case I need to break it open to replace wings with broken flap attachments.

I'm completely confident that you'll sort the intakes Dave and I'm grateful for your insight into the kit, one modeller to another.
All the best
Paul
Hi Paul. I didnt think you were implying anything. I have been building kits for many years. But i still make the occasional cock up. In this case i have been careful to get it right. And still im having problems. As soon as i saw the parts break down i knew i was in for a difficult build. Im just disappointed that a new mold kit is this bad. 2 years ago i built the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito. Hundreds of parts that all fitted together perfectly. And no filler needed. So why cant Revell make kits like that?. If only Tamiya did a Tornado.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If only Tamiya did a Tornado.
Yep, that would be very nice. A 1/32 one would be even more lovely for me!

I guess the difference between the Mozzy and the Revell Tonka is about £100!
I'm not being flippant here I know exactly what you mean. A new kit, with all that CAD and moulding technology, should come together pretty well regardless of price.

Having built a few of the new Revell kits (1/32 Spitfire II, 1/32 109G-6 etc) I've noticed that I've needed to build a couple of kits just to get used to the model's character, get to know the plastic so-to-speak. The Spitfire for instance has undercarriage that's a little too fragile (a combination of the oleo's small diameter and the soft plastic Revell uses) and fuselage sides that are a little too wide for the canopy. Because these kits are relatively cheap I've found it's worth buying an extra kit just to investigate the flaws, especially if you're adding aftermarket stuff. It ain't ideal but I've been able to identify the pitfalls and find a solution to them. It looks like this Tornado is going to be yet another puzzler.

Anyhoo, stick with the build and tame those intakes.
I'll join you for the Big Tonka build. That's if you don't decide to build your ZM Phantom!

Cheers
P

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking at the photos in the first post, the 1:1 doesn't seem to fit very well either.

Pete

First Name
Dave
Yep, that would be very nice. A 1/32 one would be even more lovely for me!

I guess the difference between the Mozzy and the Revell Tonka is about £100!
I'm not being flippant here I know exactly what you mean. A new kit, with all that CAD and moulding technology, should come together pretty well regardless of price.

Having built a few of the new Revell kits (1/32 Spitfire II, 1/32 109G-6 etc) I've noticed that I've needed to build a couple of kits just to get used to the model's character, get to know the plastic so-to-speak. The Spitfire for instance has undercarriage that's a little too fragile (a combination of the oleo's small diameter and the soft plastic Revell uses) and fuselage sides that are a little too wide for the canopy. Because these kits are relatively cheap I've found it's worth buying an extra kit just to investigate the flaws, especially if you're adding aftermarket stuff. It ain't ideal but I've been able to identify the pitfalls and find a solution to them. It looks like this Tornado is going to be yet another puzzler.

Anyhoo, stick with the build and tame those intakes.
I'll join you for the Big Tonka build. That's if you don't decide to build your ZM Phantom!

Cheers
P
The first thing to look out for is when u fit the forward fuselage halves around the cockpit. Part of the fuselage inter fears with the rear instrument panel. Panel needs to be placed in loose until after fuselage halves are together. Intake ducts go together ok. Next big problem is those intakes. Might have helped if I'd thinned out the plastic along their rear ,vertical edges.The wings on the other hand go together well.Even the swing wing mechanism fits well and works. Although it's a bit pointless if like me you want the flaps and slats out.

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you Dave. I'll be sure and take your experiences into my builds. And I'll be sure to share my thoughts with you when I do.

This is, for me, the real reason I continue with the forum. An honest conversation with helpful pointers. :thumb2:
Cheers
Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking better now Dave, as Rick says its very surprising considering this is a brand new tooling . Like the Airfix Lightning,you wonder how it got past the test build stage without someone noticing the poor fit. Are the 1/48 Revell gr1/4 s like this too? if so then it looks like I'll be getting the Italeri for my build!

First Name
Dave
This must be the same kit as the GR1 with a longer nose added for the ADV. Theres a top fuselage section in this kit or the GR1. I know because i glued it on by mistake!. Anyway, drama over now. Im going to rescribe a few lines and carry on with the build.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Looking better now Dave, as Rick says its very surprising considering this is a brand new tooling . Like the Airfix Lightning,you wonder how it got past the test build stage without someone noticing the poor fit. Are the 1/48 Revell gr1/4 s like this too? if so then it looks like I'll be getting the Italeri for my build!
I have a 1\48 gr1 sitting on my shelf been there since last may as I just can't tackle all the terrible fit issues.
As I have been watching quietly and it seems much the same problems as mine.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Dave. I think you're over the worst now.
Those intakes look mighty fine!
Cheers
Paul

First Name
Dave
I have a 1\48 gr1 sitting on my shelf been there since last may as I just can't tackle all the terrible fit issues.
As I have been watching quietly and it seems much the same problems as mine.
Its disappointing to have these fit issues in a new kit. But youve built a couple of Airfix 1/24 Spitfires Peter. So this one shouldnt present too many problems for you.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Its disappointing to have these fit issues in a new kit. But youve built a couple of Airfix 1/24 Spitfires Peter. So this one shouldnt present too many problems for you.
You might have just inspired me perhaps after my current build I just might take it off the shelf of doom and start giving it a good seeing to.