Dave W's Revell 1/72 Bell AH-1G Cobra

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Due to the unfortunate loss of a vital part of the Kaman Seaprite, that build is probably terminated, so I'll do this instead:
revell ah-1g.jpg
I've done an inbox review of this here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/revell-1-72-bell-ah-1g-cobra-inbox-review.38698/
all the sprue shots etc are already there, so I don't propose to repost them!
Just to reiterate this a reboxing of the Special Hobby model.
Construction will start shortly.........................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off - not running, as the build starts with the cockpit area, with 12 parts most of them small - you have to be careful getting them off the sprue................
DSCF3095.JPG
As the canopy is so large, most bits will be visible - a fair amount of detail painting & decals to add to this assy.
Seats - 3 part assemblies
DSCF3096.JPG
More detail painting & decals for the seatbelts - I'll see how that goes, but I reckon I can get away with it in 1/72!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Dave.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Off - not running, as the build starts with the cockpit area, with 12 parts most of them small - you have to be careful getting them off the sprue................
View attachment 449262
As the canopy is so large, most bits will be visible - a fair amount of detail painting & decals to add to this assy.
Seats - 3 part assemblies
View attachment 449263
More detail painting & decals for the seatbelts - I'll see how that goes, but I reckon I can get away with it in 1/72!
Dave
Looks like a nice little kit there Dave:smiling3:
Unfortunately the "little" part of that statement means it's beyond me!!
Like Ian,I've always thought these look cool ;)
Looking forward to seeing your progress,
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks like a nice little kit there Dave:smiling3:
Unfortunately the "little" part of that statement means it's beyond me!!
Like Ian,I've always thought these look cool ;)
Looking forward to seeing your progress,
Andy
Wot? - A youngster like you? Too small? You never know until you try!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further assembly - the plastic is very soft, and doesn't take well to Revell Contacta, so it's TET, and CA from now on. The rotor mount is very poor, not a hope of it being able to rotate - I'm going to remove it & only fix it in position at the end of assembly.
DSCF3098.JPG
I have added weight under the cockpit ( broken miniature drill bits - I have loads of them ! ). Fit isn't that bad, but some seams need attention
I'll be using the centre rocket packs at the outer positions, and may use the gun-pods ( l ) for the inner pylons.
DSCF3100.JPGDSCF3101.JPG The cockpit ( where does that dust come from ( ?1? ). A bit of touching up here and there needed. The seat belts will be OK - I'll add a wash & matt varnish..............
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a read through....nice detail in the cockpit, should look the business when it's all buttoned up. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good so far as Dave.

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Next step will be the canopy - this is a major feature & making a mess of it would be a disaster. I've thought about assembling first, on the model ( it has 5 parts ), then masking, but I'm not happy about removing masking from a fragile clear assembly ( if it was one piece, no problem ). I've decided to mask the clear bits on the sprue, paint the frames, remove the masking & assemble it to the model - with hopefully, just a few touch ups along the joins. You have the option of having two of the canopy sections open, but that would make things even more fragile. I've considered several ways of doing this, and all have pluses & minuses!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After about 20mins, I realised that masking the canopy sections was a non-starter ( if I had pre-cut masks, though.... ). I gave up & hand painted the frames........................
DSCF3111.JPG
A bit wobbly in places, but some careful work with a chisel edged cocktail stick should improve things.
Meanwhile, a basecoat was added to the fuselage & the yellow bits carefully added. The rotor primed & the yellow tips roughly painted ( I'll mask them when I do the rotor topcoat )
DSCF3112.JPG
One of those days that things went very well - I even had a Tesco Delivery whilst painting the canopy frames!! I'm limiting myself to an hour-and-a-half benchtime at the moment - I had a few twinges in the hand over the weekend, so I'm heeding the warning.
Next up. I'll detail paint the fuselage, then gloss varnish, in preparation for decals.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Coming on well.
I have added weight under the cockpit ( broken miniature drill bits - I have loads of them !
I think we have all been there :rolling:
I have only ever built one helicopter and the canopy was very difficult. Maybe helicopter canopies are prone to issues.
Glad the hand is OK but don't overdo things. It's easy to spent too much time without noticing.
Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking very nice indeed Dave :smiling3:
Canopies sure are tricky I find too!!
Andy