Dave's 1/48th Eduard Mig 21R Profipack

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
IMG_0781.JPGIMG_0794.JPGIMG_0787.JPGIMG_0789.JPGIMG_0790.JPGIMG_0793.JPGIMG_0795.JPG

Okay folks, this will be my entry into the Mig21 SIG.  I intend to make it as a Russian aircraft from Kabul in Afghanistan in the early 80's.  I will be making a start over the weekend as the PRU Spitfire for the "spy in the sky" build is down to the final weathering touches now, although I seem to be starting a build theme of my own here. My apologies for some of the sprue shots being a little blurred but the cat was trying to investigate while I was taking the photos.

I have also bought Mr Hobby aqueous color H25 (sky blue) and H46 (emerald green)  as the internet seems to agree a 1:1 mix of these is a good match for the pre-painted photoetch for the cockpit.

D

dubster72

Good to see another MiG 21 being built Dave. You're dead right about the paint mix - mine is indistinguishable from the Eduard etch.

Watch out for the fit of the wings though... my one has me reduced to tears!  >:sad:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think I have this in my stash so I will follow with interest, another Eduard MIG-21!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good to see another MiG 21 being built Dave. You're dead right about the paint mix - mine is indistinguishable from the Eduard etch.

Watch out for the fit of the wings though... my one has me reduced to tears!  >:sad:

What is the issue with your wings?

D

dubster72

What is the issue with your wings?

Where do I start? On mine the lower wing sections fuselage bit is slightly warped, so I had to jiggle it about to make it fit. Then then upper wings didn't fit so well... it's mainly at the wing root leading edge :sad:

I'll take some pictures tomorrow

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
great to have you in on this one dave, the 21R is a nice choice. Interested to see how the wings fit on mine now that ive heard there may be problems ! I see youve got the full stencil sheet in your boxing , mines only got about 2 dozen , im a bit releived actually after the PITA job i had with them on the Chengdu J10!! cheers tony

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Start has been made. All the sprues have been labelled with tags to make finding the right one easier (thanks to someone on here for that idea).  The paint mix for the cockpit colour has been made and stored in a dropper bottle.  Finally construction and painting underway.  Still more painting work to be done in the undercarriage bay.

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

Will be following this Dave.

I remember doing the academy Fishbed with the fish on each side of the fuselage.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Progress has been slow but steady, now ready to close up.  I am gluing the bulkheads one by one and then dry fitting with the other side to check everything remains aligned.

Rather than the carpet monster, our cat struck in the night. A small piece was attached to a bit of masking tape with the part number on and left in the tray overnight so I did not lose it.  Come the morning it is gone and despite a search of the house not a trace could be found. Luckily I managed to whittle a replacement with the aid of a bit of plastic rod.

IMG_0830.JPG

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is like a 1/48 Mig-21 production line!

It is not that surprising the 1/48th Eduard kits are the best Mig21 kits around, at least there are plenty of variants and camouflage schemes to go around.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Finished working my way through the bulkheads and the fuselage closed up.

The nose cone is full of lead, literally.  I may have overdone the nose weighting a little but this is not something I have done before and wanted to err on the side of caution.  For those interested I used the small weights on a thread sold for curtains and cut them off the thread, coated in superglue to hold them and then a couple of coats of Humbrol Clear in an attempt to seal it in.

IMG_0834.JPGIMG_0835.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: