Dave's Airfix 1/48th Mk XIX PRU Spitfire

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It is straightforward, I was just hoping they would not be in sight.  I have gone for filling as the ridges are not particularly raised so even thin plastic card would be a bit thick.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Progress to date, things slowed because of travel for work the last couple of weeks.  I have managed to break the bar between the bulkheads behind the pilot but that should be easy to replace with plastic rod.  Only a tiny bit of filling needed so far.

image.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on great dave , love the scratchbuilt belts, cheers tony

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Tony, I have real sympathy for Barry on his Mosquito build and tiny bits pinging off across the room.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
IMG_0743 (002).JPG

Main body of the aircraft is nearly assembled, last bit gluing now.  Just drilled out the exhaust pipes, but I thought I would do a before and after pic.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Joe.  

After what John said about the kit earlier you can see it.  The moulding is crisp and the fit has been good, but there is a lack of detail, the cockpit for instance was basic, there wasn't a decal option for the instrument panel.

it is a sea change in quality from the old kits, but lacks the detail of the new kits from Airfix.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just got back from a short holiday back in the UK, so there has not been a lot of progress.

I got the kit primed just before I left. and the PRU Blue on last night, the intention is to try and get the masking on and the grey on tonight or tomorrow.  Hopefully another picture by the weekend.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Managed to get the masking on and the grey sprayed this morning.  Not convinced at the moment I think the grey is a little dark against the blue.

I will leave it for the rest of the day and have another look tomorrow and make my mind up. 

IMG_0775.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Dave.

I modelled my PRU Spitfire in the earlier 'pink' colour flying over the Scharnhorst. My aircraft had the wing roundels a lot more inboard than your box art....Might be as well to check just where yours should go....I don't know anything about your version, but It would be a shame for you to stick 'em on in the wrong place!

I hope you don't mind this little 'Heads Up'

Ron  

First Name
Dave
Coming along well. A simple thing like drilling out exhausts makes a real difference to the finished model.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Ron, 

i will check the photos, unfortunately most you find are of the Battle of Britain flight aircraft which is recreating the original.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ron, 

i will check the photos, unfortunately most you find are of the Battle of Britain flight aircraft which is recreating the original.

i wonder if it's worth contacting Steve (stona)?

I'm sure he will be able to help re. Spitfires. He helped me loads when I was doing my PRU Spit.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got a little further, the base coats are on and had a gloss coat an decaying started.

I managed to wreck one of the two walkway decals so I took both off and have masked and sprayed the area instead.

image.jpeg