Dave's Airfix 1/72 Kamen SH-2F Seasprite

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice one Dave, it'll be great to see it in a bigger scale than the blob of plastic in 1/700 although for that scale it was quite detailed.

Both the F and G came in either dark blue or grey. The dark blue version would be a much colourful finish. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice one Dave, it'll be great to see it in a bigger scale than the blob of plastic in 1/700 although for that scale it was quite detailed.

Both the F and G came in either dark blue or grey. The dark blue version would be a much colourful finish. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
there's only one marking finish - and that's the helicopter blue-grey! I was actually quite surprised, when I took it out of the box - the detailing & fine riveting is very good, considering it dates back to 1983
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sprue shots:
DSCF2423.JPGDSCF2422.JPGDSCF2425.JPG
Detail isn't that bad.....................
DSCF2424.JPGDSCF2426.JPGDSCF2427.JPG
Only one colour finish................................
DSCF2428.JPG
The moulds date to 1983, this boxing dates to 1991 & marked 'Made in France'
The detail looks pretty good considering that it's nearly 40 years old!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a two week absence from the bench, I've regained my enthusiasm & made a start on this - all the internals assembled & primed
DSCF2494.JPG
The parts need a lot of clean up, but no real problems - onto spraying the internal dark grey & detail painting.

I noted an error, by Airfix - if you look at the kit box, in post#1, you'll see that 'Kamen' is spelled with an 'e' & I copied that spelling as the title for my thread! Wrong!! Kaman is spelled with 2 'a's! The name is correct on the instruction sheet, oddly - I only found this out when I Googled Kamen & didn't get any helicopter hits!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Been progressing with this - had a bit of a struggle getting the fuselage halves together, but clamps & CA sorted it
DSCF2523.JPG
I was going to use the a/b, but it's only small, so decided to use the hairy stick slow progress, have other things on the go ( non-modelmaking )
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sprue shots:
View attachment 444181View attachment 444180View attachment 444183
Detail isn't that bad.....................
View attachment 444182View attachment 444184View attachment 444185
Only one colour finish................................
View attachment 444186
The moulds date to 1983, this boxing dates to 1991 & marked 'Made in France'
The detail looks pretty good considering that it's nearly 40 years old!
Dave
My detailing is pretty good also - considering I'm nearly 7- years old! So my wife says ...
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not a kit you see often. Being made in France, I'm thinking it might be an old Heller kit. I recall there is a relationship between Airfix and Heller...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There used to be. Airfix was purchased by the American then-parent company of both Humbrol and Heller in 1986, though at that point, Airfix kits were already actually made in France (but not at Heller) due to a decision by the previous company that owned Airfix. For the next 20 years, Airfix kits were manufactured in Heller’s factory, and then Hornby bought the brand and moved manufacturing to India.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Dave,
Some nice looking,rapid progress there :smiling3:
Hope you get some modelling time back soon Sir,( I've also been kept away from the bench,and site, for a time due to other annoyances!!),be good to see some paint going on ;)
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm afraid this will never fly! I'd put this aside, during my absence from the workbench, and in the process, I've lost/misplaced the main cockpit canopy. I've looked high & low, and no sign of the transparency sprue. I fear that the carpet monster has had a big meal................... Alternatively I've put it in another box, and it's in the stash somewhere. No chance of a replacement, so all the bits go back into the box, to await the reappearance of the missing parts ( maybe never )..
I will look in the stash to see if another helicopter kit leaps out at me!
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Probably hopped in one of the boxes you where reviewing.... Happy hunting.