Dave's Half track GB Chat thread.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First a big well done to Dave for pulling this one together! Also thank you to all the members that have joined so far.
Its never to late so if you missed the sign up but wish to join the GB, just jump in.

I will just paste Daves post from the suggestion here:

OK guys, looks like we got enough. I bought my victim and had a quick look in the box. All seems OK but I ordered a backup from John just in case.

As far as I can see, the list of participants is:

Allen
Tim
Lee
Marty
Me
Jim
Jakko
Mike
Andy
Steve
Jack
John
Graeme.

Could you please let me know if I've missed your name off the list?

I'm going to ask Ian to set up a thread in the GB section, but the idea is:

Any half track vehicle with a pair of wheels at the front and a pair of tracks at the back.
Any scale/ nationality/era.
Build to start Sep 1 and finish Nov 30
Usual box and sprue pics to start please and don't forget to start your own thread for your build. Titles should be simple and only include your name, the scale and manufacturer and subject. For example:

Gern's 1/35 Tamiya Sd Kfz 7/1

PLEASE keep the chat on topic and remember no building to begin until the start date.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for all the support guys.

Paul: Please don't feel left out! I have no excuse for missing you off the list - again! - other than sheer incompetence. It could be worse though, I missed off my grandson PJ as well - and I sold him the kit he's building!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wasn't going to join in this GB, but I changed my mind, when I remembered I had this in the stash
View attachment 455128

A real last century model - sufficiently different from the normal run-of-the-mill half tracks! :tongue-out3:
Dave

Interesting choice Dave and certainly different. But is it different enough?

Thanks for joining in.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks for all the support guys.

Paul: Please don't feel left out! I have no excuse for missing you off the list - again! - other than sheer incompetence. It could be worse though, I missed off my grandson PJ as well - and I sold him the kit he's building!

It's ok Dave, We all have those days once in a while!!!.....Should be a fun GB too boot.......

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I intend to take part with this kit:

13A888FC-0612-4DE1-BB29-76B23A866596.jpeg

Which will probably get built as the standard troop-transport 251/1, not the IR-equipped version or the /9 with 7.5 cm gun.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I did mention this in my original suggestion, but thought I'd remind you folks.

You can build OOB or add as much aftermarket/modifications as you like. A simple base would also be OK, but no dioramas please. You can of course add your build to a dio later.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Which will probably get built as the standard troop-transport 251/1, not the IR-equipped version or the /9 with 7.5 cm gun.

Nice kit Jakko and good you are not going to build the 'Falke' version as it is a bit, to a lot, incorrect. Gilles at blast models has a really good update for the 'Falke' and corrects all the probs. The /9 would be cool to see you build though and I know you would have fun...I have just the /9 parts from this kit and have started to build it on the Tamiya ausf. D kit. The fit is almost perfect.......

Anyway, I looked in the stash and remembered I have 2 excellent resin kits of half tracks as well as the 18 plastic ones. Both are off-the-wall, and.......French to boot. Let me know which one you think I should build. The one from Brach Models in Italy,

IMG_1992.JPG

Or this one from DES Kits in France,

IMG_0429 (2).JPG

Both are conversions that were made by Kommando Becker and his folks in Paris, from captured French vehicles. On second thought, maybe I should do a poll instead instead of clogging up Dave's GB thread.....Better yet, maybe I should ask the GB Guv'nr what he thinks............

Dave, (no pressure Sir)...Which one would you choose for me to build????????..................

Prost
Allen

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oooohhh, decisions decisions! Both look great and are certainly different from the usual suspects. If I had to choose I'd go for the Brach kit as well; if only because the rocket assembly looks more purposeful rather than an add-on afterthought.

One question about it though. How does the guy in the seat reach the bottom row of rockets to light the blue touch paper?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice kit Jakko and good you are not going to build the 'Falke' version as it is a bit, to a lot, incorrect.
I didn’t know that, but it doesn’t really appeal to me anyway :smiling3:

The /9 would be cool to see you build though and I know you would have fun...
I’m not fond of the look of this version of the /9, the earlier one with the gun set into the front plate rather than on top looks better, more streamlined so if I were to build one, it would probably be that.

I looked in the stash and remembered I have 2 excellent resin kits of half tracks as well as the 18 plastic ones. Both are off-the-wall, and.......French to boot. Let me know which one you think I should build.
Hmm … I think I would pick the one with the 8 cm mortars, because it’s an even weirder vehicle than anything with a multiple rocket launcher on top :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Depending on work commitments, i might join this GB. I have a Tamiya Sd.Kfz.251 Ausf D pulling a PAK40 in the stash that i want to build for my Normandy dio

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Gentlemen, thank you for your thoughts. I'll go with the Brach mortar kit and leave DES till another time.

Dave, thank you for your decision. I have no clue how he would do it either. The mortar half track had a crew of 4 and two were the loaders. I don't think it would have been a job for me being out in the open while loading them though....

Jakko, Yeah, I can agree with you about the /9 late. I really like the AFV kit of the /9 ausf. C early, but it's kind of pricey and against my No Kit rules..........

Sounds like a winner Alan, jump on in...........

Prost
Allen

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
I haven't decided which one of my stash I'm going to do, the choice is between a Tamiya sdkfz 251 ausf D or a Dragon sdkfz 250 ausf A.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Seeing you back around the site Dave,it reminded me of this GB :smiling3:
.....and I've changed my mind...
Not going to do the Dragon 251/22 now,I was browsing the stash and came across my Tamiya M3 A2.
So that's the one for me ;)
Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Is everyone waiting for me? Today's your starter for ten on the half-track GB. I'm tied up sorting some stuff out for most of today, but I'll be starting my build this evening.

So no excuses, off you go!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
well, i intend on making a pioneer 251,....but cant make a start for a week or so til i clear the bench