Dave's ICM 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VII

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A little more filler & sanding, then ready for paint - no primer coat this time..............
DSCF3467.JPG
Two thin overall coats of Vallejo Model Color Medium Sea Grey, thinned with South Gloucestershire tap water.
Looking in my paintbox, I found some Humbrol Acrylic PRU Blue - I can't remember how well this sprays! I'll leave the MSG to harden off overnight, before masking up & spraying the underside.
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Dave...
On the home straight now eh ?!
Ah,.....
MSG....The "Michael Schenker Group",now there's a blast back to my school days!! ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I knew it was a mistake adding that aerial - Whilst masking up, I knocked it, straightened it, & finally knocked it off entirely. Unthinkingly I CA'd it back on - should have left it off for now - I blame Taylor Swift - Spotify is playing her acoustic tracks..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hmmm - one of the worst airbrush days I've had in many years. I used Humbrol Acrylic 230 PRU Blue. The pot was tightly sealed, about 3/4 full. I tried a test to see if it was IPA compatible - it wasn't. Mixing with tap water to my normal consistency - about 5 seconds of spray, then nothing - cursing - strip airbrush down, clean, another 5 seconds of spray. I then ditched my paint mix, cleaned the airbrush - mixed up a new lot of paint - 5 seconds of spray.............. By now I was getting a little annoyed, so I grabbed my back up airbrush, this managed a little better, but I had to withdraw the needle partly to get full covering on the undersides
DSCF3468.JPG
Not the best of finishes, but by this time I was out of patience. I have a little PRU Blue left for touching up, but then it will go in the bin - I reckon age must have something to do the problem. The two airbrushes have been stripped & had an ultrasonic bath & now seem to be OK. What should have been a 20 min. job turned into 2 1/2 hours of aggravation!!
I'll give a bit of a touch up in those areas that need it, then give an overall gloss varnish spray, ready for the decals
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This thing is really putting up a fight - there aren't that many decals to add - I managed 4! Two wing roundels & the tail flashes. Others, like the wing walks fell apart when shown water, and other waited until I was trying to put them on the surface before exploding into confetti! The early ICM decals are poor, but these are unusable. :angry:
I'll have to go into the spare decals box & see what I can find - I might end up with spurious squadron codes & serial number - but I might be lucky
Dave

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Ow I feel your pain Dave :confounded:

I had the same problem with disintegrating decals, very frustrating.
Hopefully you’ll find suitable replacements and tame the beast.

Geoff

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OOOOh - I do have some suitable decals, but it means cutting into sheets for specific aircraft, so rather than do that & put the problem of missing decals off to the future, I've ordered some replacements - from Hannants - as they offer free delivery of decal sheets & PE frets...............
Dave