DCC: Digital Command Control

W

whittle-green

Since the end of my old layout, and the start of my new layout I have been learning more and more about this method of controlling the trains. So I decided to put it to the test on Whittle Green and use the layout as a means on knowing what it is like to see wether I like it or not and to see the functions it can support. Basicly, with DCC you get a constant power supply to the tracks whereas with the standard control you change this to make the train move. In DCC you control a small computer chip inside the loco which then tells it where and how to move, therefore you can have multiple trains moving in various directions and various speeds at the same time on the same peice of track. Each train has its own number which you use to on the controller to tell it to move. So if you wanted train 01 to move, you select '01' on the controller and move the speed knob. So BASICLY you are controlling the trains and not the track.

With the DCC you can have added extras to the trains, such as lights, sound and smoke which can all be turned on/off at any time whilst running from the controller. DCC can also control the points and signals on your layout by adding a small computer chip to them.

The only downside to the system is when you first start, trying to understand how it works but once you get over that there is another, bigger' problem. When you buy a loco you need to add between £10 and £20 for the computer chip (price difference on the type of chip). You then need to add more if you want lights, smoke or sound. But that comes at reasonable prices from various people.

You can find out more information on DCC from these sites:

www.dyserth-road.co.uk A friends DCC exhibition layout

www.modern-image-model-rail.co.uk John Humphries site showing the use of a computer to run trains.

www.electricnose.co.uk Steve Jones's website which shows his DCC system and also has a very good On My Work Bench.

And of course there is compact, but good information on my site about what I use and what I think of it.

Andy

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Sound's interesting, but I wouldn't thought it would be cheap :sad:

A

adzam

thanx for the info mate, seems to be vary good way of controlling, when i helped a friends father on his `o`scale layout , we could only run one loco ata a time per track,this system ( altho expensive initially) seems to cure this non scale kind of running for some layouts.

thanx for the info, up until now i had never heard of this system. ( having been out of touch with model trains for a few years)

W

whittle-green

Yes, unfortunatly, it is expensive. My system cost £125 to get it up and running with two locos 'chipped'. Obviously the more locos you have the more it costs.

Andy

M

Moped Rider

Re: cost of digital

Yes, unfortunatly, it is expensive. My system cost £125 to get it up and running with two locos 'chipped'. Obviously the more locos you have the more it costs.Andy
Bachmann are introducing a starter digital set for around £100. The thing to remember is that digital helps you to have a realistic operational exeriance with whatever layout and trains you happen to be running at the time.

You do not have to purchase a chip for every train you have. You only need to purchase enough chips to operate the number of trains that you have on your layout. Chips can be switched between trains once they are purchased.

What you do need is for the locomotive to have a digital socket into which a chip can be plugged.

Scalextric are about to launch a digital slot car racing set up and as I am a Scalextric fan that is being watched with interest. The principles of changing chips between different slot cars is already one of the selling benefits that Scalextric are using to promote their system, and it is no different for trains.

Cheers

Moped