De-bonding glued parts - help!

First Name
Alex
Hi there. Does anyone have a technique to de-bond/unstick glued parts? I need to do remove and re-align a spoked wheel on a tank I am building. I used thin liquid plastic cement. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 264768D1-270C-47E8-9990-21C1C3D5F354.jpeg
    264768D1-270C-47E8-9990-21C1C3D5F354.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Alex, I'm afraid there is no debonder for thin liquid plastic cement as it is supposed to melt the two mating surfaces and basically infuse together. You may need to saw in the middle of the sprocket and reattach taking into consideration the gap left from the sawn off plastic...you could add a thin plastic card the same thickness as the saw blade for it. Aligning it will need precision now as there is no assist from a plug point so take your time before the glue sets. I think that's all I can help. Good luck.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Alex
Hi Richard,
Many thanks for the input. Someone else also suggested a clean cut of a joint and re-aligning the spoke, like yourself, so I think I’ll go for that option.
I will post in due course with my efforts…
Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No probs Alex...I just saw that thread just now. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Certain types of white spirit will do the trick. Here in the Netherlands, the two closest equivalents are terpentine (not the same as what in English is called turpentine!) and wasbenzine. If you add the former to enamel paint to make a wash, or use it to thin enamels for airbrushing, small parts will very likely become unglued on your model.

However, this looks like it’s too big a joint for that to work. The only options I see are to saw it through like Richard suggests, or to remove the teeth from one of the two sprocket rings and re-glue them in alignment with the other. I think I’d go for the former. Oh, and you can align the halves easily enough using the track.