Deadly raised panel line on my Dart Herald

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Actually not giving a tip just expecting some I hope. :smiling:

Dart Herald has raised panel lines. Such a lot going on at the joints of the fuselage & wings worst junkety I have ever seen. So lots of sanding.

Raised pane line are going to be disturbed. Do not want to remove raised & replace with carved out as the raised rivets will also be disturbed.

Any"brilliant" ideas. Only one I have is to remove a short length back to a junction & replace with recessed panel line. Hoping at 1/72 it will not be noticed.
I am not putting any great effects on the aircraft just as very light wash most of which I remove ie not accentuating the panel lines.

On 1/48 I think I would use a very thin rod but 1/72 hoping to much.

Laurie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Laurie, instead of scribing from the junction try lightly cutting with a blade cutter. The blade will raise both sides of the cut hopefully giving an impression of a raised panel line. The scriber would have dug a channel creating a recessed groove.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi Laurie, instead of scribing from the junction try lightly cutting with a blade cutter. The blade will raise both sides of the cut hopefully giving an impression of a raised panel line. The scriber would have dug a channel creating a recessed groove.

Cheers,
Richard
Nice idea Richard will practice

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Now this is something ive had lots of experience of Laurie , with my penchant for old monogram kits , with raised panel lines. What i always do is try to lose as little of the line as possible ( obviously ) then just join up the two lines with the normal scalpel blade . I find that the cut leaves a raised bit of plastic that can be felt and seen , once its had a coat of primer and paint it should blend in nicely . Another option i used once is to use fishing line . The lines were taken back to a natural joint and the pieces of fishing line were stuck back on using liquid cement . If you search Saab J21 , you should find an old thread of mine where I did this . Hth cheers tony

D

Deleted member 5496

Now this is something ive had lots of experience of Laurie , with my penchant for old monogram kits , with raised panel lines. What i always do is try to lose as little of the line as possible ( obviously ) then just join up the two lines with the normal scalpel blade . I find that the cut leaves a raised bit of plastic that can be felt and seen , once its had a coat of primer and paint it should blend in nicely . Another option i used once is to use fishing line . The lines were taken back to a natural joint and the pieces of fishing line were stuck back on using liquid cement . If you search Saab J21 , you should find an old thread of mine where I did this . Hth cheers tony
Wow another great bit of info. Thanks very much Tony.

I have numerous sizes of beading thread must look them out.

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks tony. Found in my box of tricks. 0.5 of a milli. just the right size. made fro Elastothon & stretchable.

Now to see how it all goes but a mass of sand papering first.

Laurie

View attachment 423891
i think the one i used was plain 7 lb fishing line , the knitting in elastic might be a bit too floppy ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you’re thinking of using 0.5mm line, why not use 20 thou plastic rod from slaters? It’s pretty much the same size and can be stuck down with poly cement.....another approach is to stretch some kit sprue to the required size and use that....

D

Deleted member 5496

If you’re thinking of using 0.5mm line, why not use 20 thou plastic rod from slaters? It’s pretty much the same size and can be stuck down with poly cement.....another approach is to stretch some kit sprue to the required size and use that....
Coincidence Tim found some in box but not enough. Who are Slaters as I think this is best ?. Tried with Pyms which is great for rigging etc but does no like lying down.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Slaters is the UK firm that brought plasticard to the masses Laurie. Should be easily available on the net. Try model railway suppliers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Try here for example...

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks very much to you all.

Amazing ask what seems a daft question & you get a whole host of very helpful answers. :smiling:

Laurie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If Slaters don't work for you try .020 Evergreen Styrene.......available from Wm. K. Walthers.com Rick H.

D

Deleted member 5496

Try here for example...
OK Tim got 3 types square .02 another slightly smaller & sq .02 will show results after experimention.

Laurie

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Laurie,
Sorry for my ignorance about airliner kits, but is this the old Airfix/Frog kit in a silver grey plastic?
If so and my memory serves me correctly once the panel lines are sanded off there will still be the line marked in the plastic.
I have found that if you use the back of a #10A scalpel blade and straight edge this will give you nice scribed lines and without the ridges either side, a quick sand after all the work and that should give you your panel lines back.
HTH, Mike.

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. The fuselage & wings are actually black plastic. The panel lines are not large ie protruding just quite feint plus a lot of rivet lines. Plus a hell of a lot of them. So decided on short removed panel lines in sanding to use your method ie a Morton blade which has worked OK.

Others much longer will have to be masked & I will use a panel line scriber. A Bare metal Fine scriber

Also will be using a coat of Mr Cement S over each new panel line. This softens the hard lines created by the panel line scriber. Gives a better softer look.

Lauir